Hello! I am Mary and I am forty. My husband snores; actually he has been snoring from the first day of our marriage. It was rather annoying at the first time but then I got used to it. But, I noticed that he started to make pauses between his heavy snoring. It sounds like he is not breathing during this time at all. Sometimes I am afraid he is going to die and I wake him up. He started to feel daytime sleepiness and irritability. We went to see his doctor and he diagnosed sleep apnea and prescribed sleep medicines. But, my husband doesn’t want to take them and I don’t know if there is any other was to get into deep sleep with apnea.

Hello! The symptoms you described are usually connected to sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a disorder in which a person stops breathing during the night many times for few seconds or longer. You haven’t written what kind of examination your husband’s doctor did since there are many things that can cause sleep apnea such as obesity or structural abnormality of the face or upper airways. I have never heard that sleep pills are prescribed for sleep apnea and as I know they can even worsen the present condition. It would be good if you consult another doctor. Your husband should stop use of alcohol, lose weight, quit smoking and sleep on his side. The most effective treatments for sleep apnea are devices that keep the throat open during the night.