Hello! My brother was diagnosed sleep apnea few weeks ago. His doctor recommended CPAP mask which should help him to breathe normally during his sleep. My brother is still getting used to it. At first he was totally discouraged because he didn’t feel as he expected but after few adjustments to his mask he sleeps better and better. The problem is he is obese. His doctor said he should lose weight but I can’t see how obstructive sleep apnea is related to obesity.

Hello! Weight reduction in individuals with obstructive sleep apnea is essential. It is showed that over 95% of patients suffering from sleep apnea are obese. I think obesity is the cause and the result of sleep apnea. Some studies have shown that the less we sleep the more at risk to gain weight we are. Excess flabby tissue in the throat blocks the breathing passages and causes sleep apnea. As you could see, it is not always clear which condition is responsible for the other, but it is clear that weight reduction is necessary.