bottom line.......how many days in advance you gotta plan this little event?......do you have to get a blood test?.......where do you get the license?......who can perform the ceremony?.....Justice of the Peace, minister.....ship captain?

Let's see how my memory works...

Can be a day or two in advance, can be years to plan.

I'm pretty sure if you get married in the US, a blood test is required.

You usually get the license at your city hall (if the city's big enough) or the county courthouse.

An ordained minister, judge, or other civil official can do the ceremony. A ship captain maybe if you're in the middle of the ocean (YARRRRRRGGH !)

blood test requirements vary by state....many no longer use them as the test was for syphilis...that was it. I never heard of a state even have mandatory HIV testing which would be more of a concern than syphils.

Chaplain/minister/approved holypersons/ shipcaptains and JOP's too i think can..... Depending on where you go depends on the amount of planning. big weddings take a lot of time possibly even booking a year in advance. or as simple as flying to Vegas baby!!!

No blood test in MN.

Has anybody really had to?

Ok, here's New Mexico for example: (no particular reason, just curious, ya know?)

New Mexico Marriage License Information, Laws, Requirements
In most circumstances you may apply for a marriage license at any NM county clerk office where you plan to be married. These offices are usually located in the county probate court or circuit court. This document outlines the procedures you must follow to obtain your license.

Cost of License
What is the cost of a marriage license?
The marriage license fee is $25.00 dollars. Accepted forms of payment are cash.

Residency Requirements
What are the residency requirments for New Mexico?
None, you do not have to be a previous or current resident of New Mexico to obtain a marriage license that is valid statewide.

Waiting Period
Is there a waiting period from the application date to the date the license is issued?
No, you will receive your license immediately.

Is there a waiting period from the date the license is issued to the date I am allowed to marry?
No, you can marry immediately after receiving your license.

Age Requirement
What is the minimum age a man or woman may marry?
You must be 18 years old or older to marry without parental consent. A birth certificate may be necessary to show proof of age.

What if one or both of us is younger than 18?
If either partner is under 18, parental consent forms must be signed. You will need a certified copy of your birth certificate. If you are under 16 you can not marry without a court order.

Blood Tests and Physical Exams
Are blood tests and physical exams required?
No blood test or physical exam is required.

Unfortunately, if you are in the right place (Vegas, Gatlinburg, Ringold, GA ;)) you can get married on the spot (see Britney and what's-his-name for pop culture reference). Blood test requirement is by state (GA does not require a blood test). Also, I believe notary publics can marry peeps :) For as little as $29.95, you can also get ordained online, so you can marry anybody! 

At least in PA, you don't actually need a third party to marry you, so long as you have a license. As I recall, Phillycat and her husband did it themselves, and Quakers have been doing it that way forever.

(GA does not require a blood test).Really? I could have sworn we got tested.
Also, I believe notary publics can marry peeps :)
I've also heard this is true in GA.

We got married by a notary (who is a friend) in Florida. And no, we didn't need a blood test, just a marriage license. We had to show our ID and that was about it. Pretty scary, isn't it?

In Ohio, many years ago, no blood test either. But we had to swear that we weren't related by anything like first cousins or brother and siser. It was a long time ago and I've blocked most of that experience out. AT the marriage, just of peace.

Everywhere here (sort of) I'm reading that blood tests are no longer required. Was this some sort of right-to-privacy issue that changed all the laws?

Really? I could have sworn we got tested.

They dropped it only about 5 or so years ago...

combination of privacy and the test purpose is not suited for this day and age.

We got married in Vegas with no blood test. Did have to pick up a quickie marriege License, but all you had to have for that was cash.:shrug:

DON'T DO IT BB.....RUN, NOW, as FAST as you can!!!!!!!!! :umno: :umno: