I live in TN. I quit smoking pot 3 months ago. But if i pass the drug test and my baby fails for thc if they test the poop, what could happen?

Michelle,

Although I do not know you, I hope that your concern is for you child and not a way to deceit medical professionals or Children's Protective Services.  I am an investigator of abuse and neglect and I can assure you that in my state hospitals, doctors and many other professionals are required to report any substance use or abuse.  When a child test positive for marijuana in my state it is considered physical abuse.  If there is a high risk for the child to remain in the care of the mother, the child could potentially be removed.  This is always presented in front of judge in your county court.  There is a misconception that Children's Protective Services has the power to remove a child from a family.  No agency has the power to remove any child from a home without a court order. Law enforcement, police, are able to remove a child if there is an immediate threat but they also must get paperwork from the county court.  Normally when a child is removed for substance abuse the families are offered services to ensure the risks are reduced or eliminated for the child to return back to the family's home.  In some situations there is no court involvement but CPS does get involved and monitor the families to ensure the child is safe.  If its determined that there is little risk the case might remain open for a few months and be monitored.

If you truly loved your child and infant be responsible and ensure that you child is safely away from anyone that is abusing any illicit substance including prescriptions.  The safety of a child is taken very serious, although many people might disagree with the decision of the court to remove the child from a home, it is something that must be done to ensure the safety of the children.  As you are aware children cannot express what they feel or know what is right so it is your responsibility as a parent to ensure they are safe.  When a parent is not able or fails to keep a child safe Children's Protective Services get's involved and possibly involve the court.

I wish you well with your baby and hope you remain strong and keep your child safe.  From the bottom of my heart I ask you to cherish your child as they are our blessings from God!  A child is the most amazing miracle and although many times things can get stressful nothing can ever replace the emptiness from a loss of a child.

With Christ, 

Children's Protective Services Investigator