I'm 28 years old and female and have had two occurrences of Ankylosing spondylitis. The last one was five years ago. It’s the worst when I've been standing for a long period of time and gets strained quite easily during physical activity. I tested positive for the HLA-B27 gene and have suffered from lower back pain for about 8 years. Lately I have been waking up in the morning with ache throughout my back. It is little silly for me to ask my doctor about it.

Come on, all they do is take some x-rays and then you know. My symptoms of Ankylosing spondylitis started after the birth of my daughter seven years ago. My brother had already been diagnosed with AS. My doctor thought that I was crazy; he said something like “women do not get AS". I have been living with AS for almost 7 years now and I am glad that I know what my pain is about. You should check that, don’t be embarrassed.