Why is “mad cow “disease called Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy? It was such a fuss about it in past two years and now not even word. I am still not sure whether is safe for me to eat meat. I would like to know more about Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy. What is the exact cause of the disease?

Mad Cow Disease is the commonly used name for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy It is a slowly progressive, degenerative, fatal disease affecting the central nervous system of cattle. Here is explanation of the name: Bovine refers to cows; Spongiform describes the 'sponge-like' effect of the disease on cells; and 'Encephalopathy' is used to describe diseases of the brain. The exact cause of BSE is not known, however it is generally accepted by the scientists that the likely cause is infectious forms of a type of protein, prions, normally found in animals.