What would be the strongest argument for people who think that animal testing is useless or should be banned??

I can't really think of one because I don't think animal testing is useless, nor should it be banned. The animal model is invaluable and in some cased the only valid method of testing to find an answer.

While others may disagree and disapprove, I would back up TheGeeze on this one.
Animal testing allows us to get many answers and needs to be done before the testing is done on humans.

If I would have to choose between animals and humans (in regards to survival), I choose humans.

Animal testing is always a hot topic and I don't think anyone will ever one-hundred percent agree on one side or the other. I have a scientist friend at the Oregon Health Sciences University who sits in his lab all day and does awful things to mice. Now, if I think about the mice I may get emotional but if I think of the thousands of breast cancer survivors who made it through due to the lab testing he is doing I don't get so moved. I believe in saving the human race first, then animals. They were put on this earth for a reason, and yes, we have contol over them and should take care of them - but, they do prove useful in preserving human life. Animal testing is not useless and is an important tool in science. And, I am still an animal lover.

I have to agree with all of you. I do think that testing for new medication on animals is very important, not just for humans, but also animals. I now it is awful, but many answers are and will be found thanks to thees testings.
I value life, and life should be on first place on top of our list.

I think that it depends on what animals are being tested for. I think most of us can agree that animals should not be used in testing for beauty products or something like that. But then again, animals have been used for testing medical advances like cancer treatments or even something as basic as insulin, so I think that we can agree that's for a common good. I don't think there's ever going to be a satisfactory answer to this debate. I think it's best to just agree to disagree on it, since there's both pretty serious pros and cons.

I just have to agree with you that no animal should be tested for beauty products. That is just not ok.
On the other hand, cancer, diabetes and any other diseases that is mortal for human being it a ok. Also by thinking a little bit on this, humans a little selfish, but we live in a world where the survival of the fittest is crucial.

dark_red I think you also bring up a pretty important point. I don't think that any other animal on the planet is worried about what it does to other animals other than humans! I know that it might sound a little evolutionary, but I think that we don't technically owe anything to other animals to treat them well. But we are rational, so we should try to reduce suffering for other animals as much as possible, even if we do use some of them for our own benefit.

I know this post is kinda old, but I thought I would add in my 2 cents,

I actually work in animal research, although our research is all aimed at livestock, and disease research. So our research isn't for the benifit of people in the short run....but in the long run we do vaccine trials, disease research etc, and all of which could effect humans, but our studies are based primarily on the animals sake, making their life easier and longer in many cases in general. I work with the animals themselves, I don't do the research and I know that our animals are well cared for, and many people have no idea how many protocals are taken for the animals care and safety. Its not as bad as many people think. We have small animals as well (rabbits, mice, guinea pigs, I have worked with them as well) and they are treated great as well.

I Live on a farm so I don't know if I'm fair saying, that I believe animal testing is necessary for many cases, although the inhuman and inproper care isn't acceptable no matter what the situation.

-Canadian Girl

Hi CanadianGirl. I t is good that you have posted here because you have experience in this field. I agree with you. These researches are very important and they really do benefit to many, an not only humans but to animals as well.
Maybe you can tell us more about this so we know how they are treated. For instance I don't have clear picture where do animals sleep and how are their living conditions.
If you can give us some info it would be highly appreciated.

Hi CanadianGirl! I had no idea that you worked in an animal lab so I think that it would be neat to pick your brain and find out more about what it's like! Which animals have you worked with? YOu said that you worked with small animals but were you working with other ones? I'd like to know just because I'm curious about which animals you worked with the most. I know that my friend used to work at a mouse farm, but that was a totally different experience. Let me know!

Hi Everyone,

I work with mainly large animals the Majority of the time its Pigs, but also Cattle, sheep, Poultry, There are Deer and goats as well...I don't work with these as much. My Main Job is to be an animal attendent, I look after and attend to the animals well being. Feeding, Cleaning, Environmental Inrichment...so if thats cutting up apples and feeding them to the awaiting pigs, I do it. Actually...just today, I was teaching a 3 month old boar to sit like a dog, they are so smart!!! I don't have to do these things, but it makes my job fun. and there lives much more interesting.

Granted these animals(Pigs and Poultry) never get to go outside they do have a great life. The reason they don't go outside is for their benefit. These animals were born on this property in a closed herd(no in or out of animals...so yes, inbreeding can happen, but its avoided in most cases) These animals are born with little, to no Immune system, no vaccinating or health problems, they do get their regular worming medicine, like any other animal for there own health, and antibiotics or anti-inflammitories when needed, Arthritis is a problem with pigs. These animals, if put outside would 9 chances out of 10 get sick, and because they have no anitbodies, they could be 10x's worse than any other regular animal.

All of the animals are treated, exceptinally well. We have a vet on premise for any health issues. The handlers for the most part are great (there is 1 guy is talked to regularly on stuff, but he was moved to the poultry barn, where nothing can really go wrong)

The animals have a great life, yes on a regular farm and different setting it would be nicer, but unfortunatly for some of the animals its just not possible. Pigs and Poultry are in closed barns, Pigs have rubber matts to sleep on, they are cleaned and housed down 2x's a day, as well as being fed 2x's. The all have toys and logs etc in their pens. The only Pigs by themselves are Adult Boars, for their own safety...2 900lb boars together isn't a good idea! All other animals are in semi-group, or complete Group Housing systems.

Poultry are caged...unfortunatly, but that is changing very soon, we have go the ok for group housing, just need to work out the financial part of it.

The other animals are all kept outside, with barns, and full feed all the time, people attraction etc.

So overall these animals have a great life.

But think about things...we do take blood from animals regularly, and other things....Eggs are taken from the chickens to help make Flu Vaccinations for people, along with Ocular studies. Blood is used for studies. Pigs supply so many things...we have shipped pigs out for Swine Flu Research since the outbreak, we supply bigs to Heart Institues, and University to learn health procedure (human procedures....they could be using humans for this!!!!)

Cattle get so many numerous studdies, but all very minor...embryo transfers, disease research etc.

Sheep have it easy, one sheep is bled every week for a study, we also do samples for Splatter Testing for forensic studies etc.

I think thats about it...any Questions?

-Canadian Girl

CanadianGirl thanks so much for your informative post! I did not know that they did so much work on different types of animals. I was really shocked to find out that you've been working with cattle and deer even! I thought it was mostly mice so it's really interesting to hear about the wide variety of animals that you've been working on. Crazy! Thanks so much. :-)

Hi, No Problem...I like my job (right now) lol and I'm pretty impressed with everything we do, and the stuff I get to see. Its a neat job. And you get an upclose and personal side to the research animals.....so many bad things are said about such research, but from my eyes, I see no evil here anyways.

Glad to share my knowledge!

-Canadian Girl

Hi CanadianGirl. I was also amazed to find out that so many different animals are being used for these researches. I really thought it was just little animals. So this is then a very big farm.
You have mentioned people attraction, so you have some kind of tourist groups coming over there? Or this is just for animals to get used to humans?