Hello, folks. My son has been diagnosed lactose intolerance. I hear people talking about lactase enzyme tablets. I would like to know if it is good to use them. I haven't consulted yet my son's pediatrician. I would like to hear your opinion as well. Thanks for all your replies. Bye!

Hello. Lactose intolerance means that one's intestines cannot digest milk sugar – lactose. It is caused by deficiency of an enzyme that digests lactose. It is called lactase. Since your body cannot produce it, people take supplements. I hear also positive comments about these tablets. They can be taken before a meal or a snack. Nevertheless, you should consult first your son's pediatrician before taking them. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

Hi, I am lactose intolerant and have been for some years. I take these tablets and they work wonders for me. There are many different types but I usually just buy the generic because they work the best and are usually cheaper. You must take them before you eat any dairy products but if you do this it will alleviate any problems from the intolerance. I would talk to your pediatrician first but these tablets do work well for me. Hope this helps.

It is important to understand if one is lactose intolerant, continuing to eat dairy products is forcing your body to do something unnatural.
Dairy products are not healthy nor necessary for us humans. Let's remember we are not cows.
However because of the society we live in, it is not always easy to avoid dairy products. Many times milk proteins and such are used as additives. I suggest keeping the lactase tablets for the occasional dairy consumption, but lactose intolerant people should avoid dairy products altogether to avoid more serious problems in the future.

sushine 80 - Cows do not drink milk! :-D
On the other hand, milk & derived products have been shown to be beneficial to humans. Milk is recognized as the best calcium source available to us.
what is deficient is the human's body lack of lactase - hence why the child should definately be treated for intolerance.

Cows don't drink milk!? Who do you think the cows produce the milk for? you?

A bit of confusion going on here, cows produce milk for the same reason women and all mammals produce it, to feed their young. All mammals after infancy stop drinking milk except humans hence lactose intolerance. The body just expect at this point we would not be consuming milk and inhibit the synthesis of lactase. However since we made cultural leaps and domesticated cows we now use their milk as a part of our diet and rightfully so. Milk is highly nutritious for us although a lot of us can't digest it but using supplemented lactase is not a bad idea by any means. Calcium in milk is essential for bone growth along with other minerals that it contains.

Like horses cows were created for a purpose of directly serving humans. Like all things on this universe the milk was created specifically for the benefit of humans. There isn't an illness except death that cannot be cured. Medicine and tablets may be beneficial though it's smart to do research on what your putting into your body. Using these lactase pills moderately is fair though getting greedy on the munchies may have unexpected side affects. Thanks for all the other posts.

yes actually lol. I have a friend that lives on a dairy farm. When a cow is having a baby it produces milk, like humans, then they keep getting the milk from it during that time FOR US. Only the baby cow drinks the milk, then it gets older and drinks water, like all adult cows.

Quote:

guest wrote:

Y'all crack me up. Thanks for the laughs.

Hi

Can you link to the tablets you take? I am myself lactose intolerant.

hi, I  have read about 3 factors around this milk syndrome ! First is the Lactose Intolerance- here, the intestine is unable to produce lactase promptly and adequately to break down the lactose into digestible elements . Next is the Milk Protein: some people have difficulty in absorbing the milk protein even after lactose is  broken up.  This is said to result  in build up of toxins in body cells causing arthiritis over a period of time.. Third is of course sounds more serious : Allergy. Fotunately they say this is rare ! Yet this really sounds dangerous, as there have been illustrations about pulse rate  going up , apart from swelling of glands and rashes etc all of which defy diagnosis.. the root cause will be most unsuspectingly the holy milk ! So it is  scary ?! hhmm...  but life is scary, if you are afraid of crossing the road, you can never cross the road.... all that we can do is to play it safe with children till they are 18-20... avoid milk and milk products for them  if they are  detected to have  intolerance or allergy ..and the testing mechanism is so open ended it needs a package of several tools to build a consensus around most 'Positives' ..

Lactose is not a milk protein. It is a disaccharide (sugar) consisting of glucose and galactose. Lactase cleaves lactose into the two monosaccharides.

I was born lactose intolerant but wasn't diagnosed until adulthood. I take lactase enzymes which are really helpful but if I'm on holiday and use them for a couple of weeks they don't seem to be so effective. At home I try to stay dairy free as much as possible and tend to feel much better for it. Its the social side of things that causes me the biggest problem so having the tabs is a great bonus.

Could you please mention the brand of lactase enzymes you've been consuming?