what bonehead decided it would be good to feed cows grain and other weird parts of animals?

some cost effective sucka that's who.

and seriously, i didn't think grass was that expensive to grow.

anyhoo - i'm really quite annoyed that i can't get organic meat at my local grocers. or the fact that it's so big and faceless now and has gone all 'big box' store on me.

i think i'm just angry.

maybe i should go live off the land... i'll just make arrangements for my internet access.

No high speed internet out in the country.

You could just shoot your own. Venison is quite tasty.

Depending on how many head of cattle you have and how much land, grass won't be sufficient because they will starve to death. Most cattle today is raised on a feed lot where there is entirely too many cattle for a certain area of ground. Feeding them grain will fatten them up earlier, make the cow healthier (theoretically), thus making turnover quicker and more profitable.

If you want organic meat, buy a cow, raise it and then do the processing.

Raising your own cow shouldn't cost more than $5000, assuming you buy a calf at auction for $500-$1000 and the processer only charges you $1000.

You might want to go to a local farming area and see if you can find out where they process their meat and go to the house and purchase a 1/4 side and it will last about 6-8 months in the freezer.

grain isn't wierd - a cow can be fed grain and be called organic. I might be in the organic beef business in a few years if we can get the water situation (lack of) under control.

The thing that does concern me a little is the antibiotics and steeroids ( get it steeroids, I kill me) given to increase production. I seriously doubt there is a true health risk there and it's probabbly outweighed by being able to provide more people quality food.

Probably in my lifetime I'll go vegetarian (with the exception being fish I catch myself).
If you're a zealot-wingnut-conspiracist, it's easy to see/believe the theory that all these animal diseases are just going to get worse and worse and worse. :|