Hello, I'm a 25 year old woman, I was born with no thyroid gland and I have hypothyroidism as you probably would know. My question is, if I used a pregnancy home test, would it come up to be the actual true result of the test... Or would I have to wait till I show before I can question it? I have skipped my period and I know hypothyroidism is known to have irregular menstrual periods because I have them like every so often. But I need more information, because I am always scared to ask my doctor and I know I would get more honest answers on this medical website. :-) please, I need all the information I can get. Thank you.

Hi! This is the first time I hear you can actually be born without a thyroid gland. Mine was removed six years ago, so know how it feels like. Do you take any hormone replacement therapy? What do you take? I use levothyroxin-natrium and my menstrual periods are always regular. Once I was without my therapy for three months, but it never affected my period. I found that the problem with hypothyroidism and pregnancy is that if you do not take your supplement it will affect the baby's intelligence. I could not find that hypothyroidism affects pregnancy tests. My negatives were always negative. :-D

Yes, I take synthroid. But I currently don't have insurance...so because of that, I have been scattering them day to every other day. (hate going to endocrology- expensive each time i go) But Bc of that, I don't take it like I should. Sometimes I don't take it weeks at a time, but it doesn't bother me unless I start thinking about it. :-/ anyways, lol, I'm just rambling now. I know I'm being irresponsible right now, but I really can't afford getting my blood drawn every other time I would go in. I just wanted to know though, if I hadnt taken my thyroid pill for a couple of weeks, would it effect my hormones and taking the test? Since your thyroid is basically all hormones.

Thyroid hormones have nothing to do with pregnancy hormones. HcG (hormone detected with home pregnancy test) does not have anything to do with thyroid hormones, level, medication, any of the above. A home pregnancy test will be accurate.

Doubleglory,

I am a 23 year old female who was also born without a thyroid (not a trace of one).  I have been on Levothyroxine all of my life, with moderate variation in the dosage as the years go by.

I cannot stress ENOUGH, that you find a way to take your pill every day. If you have to go on a medical assistance program, so be it.  If you skip a day or two, you won't feel much, no.  However, missing days or weeks at a time can really mess you up.  In fact, I've been told that if you go just a few months without taking your pills at all, you will first start to go into a coma and eventually die. You CANNOT live without the hormones that one's thyroid gland produces (or, in our cases, the SYNTHETIC hormones we're getting from our pills).

Also, it's not only important to take them every day....but it's also vital to take them at the same time, and at least an hour before you ingest any food or supplements because they will affect the absorption.  Which will in turn effect your emotions, cognitive functioning, your body weight, and so much more.  I noticed a difference in my moods when I started taking my pills at the same time every day (after YEARS of just taking them, whenever). 

This is serious, though.  There is VERY limited information out there, for people born with no thyroid.  There are a few sites, which seem poorly written.  I know that having your blood drawn and paying the the Rx's are a financial pain in the butt, but if you tell your provider and pharmacist your exact condition (and mention how long you sometimes go without taking the pills), it'll surely raise a red flag and they'll help you explore other financial options.

I'm not sure how you can go weeks without taking a pill and only notice it if you think about it ~ that's beyond me.  But it's not healthy, and it can and WILL affect your cognitive functioning among many other things (that you'll gradually notice).  You may feel lightheaded, cold, notice your hair going brittle, and not to mention....mood swings. Those are the LESS SERIOUS of the effects. Now, I could be biased because I also have a very VERY strong family history of mental disorders; mostly anxiety and bipolar, so that may play into my own moodswings whenever I miss a dose, take the pills inconsistently, etc.  But please please, PLEASE.  For your own sake, talk to someone about this immediately if you haven't already.   You're still young, and I'd hate to see someone like you suffer from mental impairment from missing too many doses. Again, you WILL DIE if you just altogether quit taking those pills.  I've learned the hard way...just because you don't notice an immediate change if you stop / start taking your pills, the horrible effects aren't as far away as you think they are.  You'll need to be on these pills every day for the rest of your life. 

Also, the medicine has no effect whatsoever on pregnancy test results :)  take care and please keep in touch with me.  I'm currently going through a lot of mental/emotional/physical changes (the majority of them not pleasant) and from reading, a LOT of those symptoms are related to hypothyroidism.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Best of luck,

~Michelle~

Hi,I was also born without a thyroid gland.I was eighteen when I stopped taking them because I got married and didn't have insurance(like now)so I didn't have the money to get them or go to a docter and also couldn't find a docter that knew about thyroid but now I am back on them and take it everyday.I also was told that I have congtive problems with breathing,I have missed my period the whole december and only spotted in january so I thought I might have been pregant but turns out I'm not but i still have syptoms like pregancy and I have never ever in my whole life spotted instead of having my usual period which I usually go heavy the first day and have bad cramps and then the rest is lighter.I thought my hormones weren't showing up in the blood and urine test.confused and wish I had the money to go to a docters.

I had my thyroid removed and at the beginning of this year I too couldn't afford the doctor visit for my medication. I went 3months without my meds but thanks be to God that I survived. I have always been a spiritual person just like my grandmother she didn't really believe in taking medication. I did notice how I was constently cold and mood swings but other than that I felt fine. Guess just by having faith and believing that God will provide my every need I survived. I was actually trying to find out if I took a pregnancy test would it affect the results due to me not having a gland. I know its hard for us to get pregnant due to infertility. But I have not seen a cycle since march 15th and am very curious about what's going on. I'm thinkn maybe its stress but I don't feel like I've been really stressing about anything. I am goin to internship in a week so maybe that's it but I don't think I'm stressing about it I'm actually happy about it. I have been tryn to concieve within these past 3yrs but no luck. Got to thinking maybe I just can't have kids due to the infertility from no thyroid and I was on birth control previously for 10yrs. Well once I get off today I will take a test but I wanted to know if the results would be accurate.

this is rubbish. I didnt know I was pregnant until 13 weeks as every test I did said negative. even though I was pregnant I have no thyroid also

Actually that's incorrect. Read up on that. The thyroid gland produces the HCG hormone. If the thyroid gland is not working properly it will accept the level of HCG in the bloodstream. Happened to me.

that is very inaccurate on al levels. your thyroid affects all hormones within the body one way or another.

So I was born without my thyroid as well, I just turned 25 and I'm trying to conceive. Is there anything you can suggest diet wise for people like us to help the process along? I've been told by countless doctors that I won't be able to conceive. And if I do the post partum depression would be brutal. I've also been told it has grown back (obviously not/impossible) so at this point I'm not sure if the doctors even know how to handle this. Just looking for advice since I'm not sure who to go to. Tired of being tired lol

-Michelle

Walmart sells the generic brand for synthroid.
Leveothyroxin. It cost $9.00 for a 30 day supply.