I've been having dark brown spotting for about a week and a half now. My period is supposed to be due around x'mas, so its 2 weeks early. It's getting heavier and at some time it is red. Usually my period is really heavy but this is a light to medium flow. I've had spotting before but never had one that lasted so long and way before my period. So i'm wondering what could this be?

With every menstrual cycle tissue inside your uterus becomes bit larger, builds up and becomes blood-filled so it could prepare itself for fertilized egg. This is controlled by hormones. So when there is no pregnancy this tissue ruptures and your period comes – this blood is always bright red. Since you say you usually have heavy periods, brown blood or spotting that you are experiencing now is in fact old blood that was left from previous period. It’s pretty much normal for brown spotting to appear before a regular period. Are your periods on time most of the time?

I have been having irregular period for a yr and a half but after i went on 2 packs of bcp and got off it in june it's been pretty regular for the past 4 months. I havent gone back on any contraceptives ever since but i wasnt sure if there was any after affects for such a short period of time going on it.

oops my bad 4got to log in

It’s not so much after effect of birth control – although there seems to be no short time when it comes to them – at least I think so. Birth control just corrected levels of your hormones as long as you were taking them, but now your body went back to its own rhythm. I think you should go and see your gyn about these irregular and heavy periods, spotting is caused by them this time, but maybe it would be better for you to find some more permanent solution to this. Did you stop taking birth control pills because of the side effects?

Besides bloating i didnt have any problem with it. I only started taking them since I was becoming sexually active. I went away on holiday for a few months so I decided I didnt need it since I won't be having any sex. Ever since I came back I still havent decided if i want to go back on them or not.

Birth control is, besides contraception, only way to regulate periods, heavy bleeding and even acne in some cases because they are in fact female sex hormones. So gynecologist would probably recommend you to take them to. Why suffer every month if you didn’t have side effects from the pill.

ya i thought about that too but since i was having a pretty regular period for the last 4 months i thought maybe i don't need it anymore. well, i'll see, i'm planning on taking another form of birth control since its a hassle to remember to take it everyday. thanks for all your help :-)