I'm really starting to get annoyed. I had been on Depo for about 6 years. I hadn't had a period since I started Depo. My last shot was due in April, and I decided to come off because I knew it could take a year to be able to get pregnant again and my husband and I have been talking about kids. I started on Seasonique. I got through 11 weeks of it and started spotting so I went ahead and took my off week pills to have my period. I bleed like a normal period for a few days, but I have been spotting heavily since then. 6 WEEKS NOW!!! I just got over the breast tenderness (OMG they hurt!) and have been on a mood rollercoaster. My GYN only warned me of the bone density loss and none of the rest of this c**p. I've read some of the other posts about contant bleeding. When will this stop?!?

Like many of you, I am SO glad I found this thread.

I was on Depo-Provera for about 1 1/2 years. I started it when I was 16, and I am now 18. I had been on birth control prior to Depo to regulate my periods when my then step-mother (who worked in a hospital although not a doctor) suggested me get on the Depo shot. All I could think of was "Wow, no periods! Great!" so I asked a doctor (male) and before I knew it I got the shot the same day. I was not warned of ANYTHING, at all.

The one good thing that my doctor did (but it was actual the nurse) was give me an informative letter about the risks of the Depo Provera linking to Osteoporosis. This was one of the reasons I decided to get off of it.

My last injection was supposed to be July 26, 2008 but instead I made an appointment with my doctor (who I changed, by the way) to ask her about changing. She told me she would NEVER have put me on the Depo shot because it isn't the birth control method for me. Instead she prescribed me to Ortho-Evra birth control patches. I asked many questions about the patches since I had heard they can cause blood clots but she said I would be completely fine as long as I changed the patch location each week. I filled my prescription but have not yet started my patch because I'm not sure if I should go ahead and start the patch without the return of my period.

I have experienced weight gain. I was already a little overweight to begin with but I have gained 28 lbs because of this shot. I have been extremely stressed this past year but I believe Depo has helped me gain all that weight. I now weigh 208 lbs. Although I don't feel I look it, I know it is an extreme problem for my health.

Along with the weight gain, I have been experiencing horrible stomach cramps the past few days (It is August 11 right now). I had a stomach virus a month ago, but it isn't the same feeling. At first I thought it was just something I ate but it still has not passed. I will just get sharp pains in my abdomen at any random moment. It is horrible! I also wake up with breast tenderness, but it isn't that severe.

I'm just afraid I ruined my body. I really really want to have children in my future but I am so worried that it ruined my body. I wish I had been more informed of the risks of this method of birth control. I mean, I wasn't even sure what Depo did to your body!

I have never been so wanting of my period.... I'll post when it returns.

Thank you all so much for sharing your stories. You have eased the mind of my 18 year old daughter. She was in tears when she told me tonight about her pains and symptoms that made her feel like she was pregnant. She even told me about taking a pregnancy test tonight and it coming back negative.
I found the beginning thread by googling and I am glad I did. I think now her symptoms are from her being off the depo shot for a month now. Phewwwww.....

Thank you all so very much!!!!!!!!

IT'S 8/22/08 AND MY LAST DEPO SHOT WAS 03/13/08. I WAS SUPPOSE TO GO BACK FOR MY SHOT THAT JUNE BUT DIDNT, BECAUSE I WAS CONCERNED ADOUT FERTILITY BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR TWO AND A HALF YEARS. IVE HEARD STORIES OF WOMAN GETTING PREGNANT SOON AFTER THEY GOT OFF THE SHOT EVEN THOUGH STUDIES SHOW THAT IT SUPPOSE TO TAKE UP TO 6 TO 12 MONTHS TO POSSIBLY GET PREGNANT. WELL I HAVE BEEN FEELING NAUSEA ALL DAY ALMOST EVERY DAY, PALPUTATIONS,FATIGUE,AND STILL NO PERIOD. YES I HAVE EXPERIANCED NO PERIOD WITH THE SHOT BUT EVERY TIME I WAS LATE GETTING IT I GOT A PERIOD. EVEN WHEN I GOT OFF OF THE SHOT FOR A FEW MONTHS PRIOR TO THIS TIME I STILL GOT ONE EVERY 24 DAYS THAT LASTED FOR FOUR DAYS. EVEN THOUGH THE PREGNANCY TEST SAYS NEGATIVE IM STILL WORRIED. THERE IS A SUCH THING A EPTOPIC PREGNANCY AND THOSE DONT SHOW ON A URINE TEST. WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN ON PLEASE CAN I JUST HAVE A PERIOD, *I NEVER TOUGHT I WOULD EVER SAY THAT*

Serina....i just want to thank you for posting your very graphic explanation of what you went through. That was my sunday. My husband even asked if I wanted him to get me a test. I felt aweful and my boobs hurt so bad!!! but i have only been off the shot @3 months after 9 years on it. I still haven't taken the test because I don't want to get my hopes up. But I really appreciate you sharing your experience so openly.

I am so grateful to have stumbled onto this site. I was on the depo shot for nearly 10 years and got my last shot at the end of Dec. of 07. So as I figure it I've been off of depo for aproximately 5 mos. On the shot, I had no symptoms other than the loss of my period which I embraced. Until Dec., I had no idea of the warnings of osteoporosis. I decided that since I was thirty and there was that risk, I should quit using the shot.

I had taken a vow of abstinance, but unfortunately, I recently got raped where in the situation there was penetration for a moment followed by a fight which ended it. A short week afterward I began to feel abdominal cramps and began to spot heavily( first time since going off). I thought this was a good sign that my periods were finally coming back. I also noticed this thick wad of clearish mucus one day as well. I had only 5 days of scant spotting and then it stopped.

I felt smallish nausea feelings that accompanied my spotting. Now that my spotting is over, my breasts are so sore. They feel like large, tight balls of pain with occational shootings through the nipple area. Also, my back seems occationally have a throbbing lower pain in the tailbone area and sometimes behind my ribcage.

I've been going nuts! I have been so afraid I could be pregnant, which I am not in a place to be able to do. I found this site and it has given me hope to my madness. I have taken several pregnancy tests, all of which are negative-but it has been only 17 days since the occurance. They don't read that early, do they? The waiting is killing me. It's all I can think about all day, with every breast pain.

I feel like a ginea pig that they tried a new med on and didn't say anything about the side effects. To this day, there is no official doctor or pharmacutical site that list theses as side effects, when they have to know them by now. I do hate that we all have to go through this. Please say a prayer for me that I am not pregnant now. I'll keep you posted.

I am so grateful to have found this site. I was on depo for 7 years following the unplanned birth of my son. My Dr. said it was great, only one shot every 3 months, blah, blah , blah. And I believed him. Only now do I find out about these horrific side effects and realized that I may have been experiencing symptoms even before I got off the shot. About 2 years ago, I began having heart palpitations that scared the c**p out of me. The dr. checked my heart, and I wore a monitor for 24 hours but nothing was wrong. Over the past 6 months I have had digestional problems, constantly growling stomach, diarhea; dr said it was due to my diet, which hasn't changed at all! Finally, when I went to my OBGYN to get examined, she urged me to get off the shot due to possible bone loss and begin taking vitamins D &C. My last shot was in April 08, but the Dr. or nurse never suggested i stop getting the shot after 2-3 years. I was due for another in July 08, and no period yet. I have had instances where it feels like I may start due to some discomfort in the abdominal area, but nothing! This morning, I had a hot flash and started sweating for no reason at all and I have to sleep with the window open or I wake up sweating in the middle of the night. I have also had some slight chest pain, back pain, and pain in my head. Some days I come home just exhausted. I always thought it was due to work and being a single mom. Now that I read this info, I realize they are probably due to the depo.

THANK YOU ALL for sharing your experiences. If any of these side effects happen to me, maybe I won't worry as much. I hope you all get through it real soon!!!

I too have to say how glad I am to have found this forum. I have been on and off Depo for probably 8 years. When I say off, I mean that I went back to pills for a while twice because I wanted to make sure that my plumbing was still working and because of the bone loss issue. I was assured by my doctor that he did not feel that would be a problem for me though and went back to Depo, which I am now wondering if that was the right decision. So, I have only been off for about 2 weeks and am having some of the same symptoms. . .lower back pain, stomach grumbling, going to the bathroom a lot, some kind of discharge (mainly clear). My twist is that I had somewhat of a period, only about two and a half days worth, only a week after stopping. Not many gals are reporting this. I too have been worried about pregnancy, which would be fine since that is why I stopped, but am wondering if these are just withdrawal symptoms. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any input would be appreciated. Good luck to all of you and I hope that you feel better soon!

I was on depo for 2 years. about a year into it I started sweating a lot. I've been off it for a little over a year and still sweat profusely. Just standing for 5 minutes makes my face wet and sweat to run down my back. it's aweful. carbs make it worse.
It took about 6 months for my period to come back and about 3 months longer for it to become semi-normal. it still isn't quite right, sometimes it's heavy and lasts 7 days, other months it's light and lasts 3. I don't want to have kids so I care less about this. I just wish I would quit sweating it's embarassing. my hair gets soaked and I literally swipe handfuls of water off my face just while grocery shopping.
When I asked my gp about it, she said depo doesn't cause the sweating. how clueless can you get. If you google depo provera and sweating you will get lots of hits.
good luck!

Hi i cannot read and run. I do not post on forums which will tell you how concerned I am about Depo. I was on it for about 5 shots. I was never
told about side effects or warning of loss of bone density.

I loved being on depo continued losing weight, had no mood swings, felt f
for the first time no mood swings. The world was okay. Then i came off
it and started suffer. No period , have still not had one after 3 months off
being depo. I have thought i was due to come on but havent. All the
symptoms, severe pain in my breasts, so bad it hurts when I walk. Pain in my stomach and terrible bloating. I have been to the doctors 3 times. I have had all sorts of tests. My hormones are fine, no problem with thyroid glands. So why do i feel so depressed, tired, sick and just downright fed up.

Over the last 18 months I have lost 32lbs since giving up depo i have
put on 6lb. Now I am sorry I know how to lose weight... I have!!!!!!! Hence I have reduced my calories again... done a food dairy every day on nutracheck... and exercised even more..... My weight is horrendous it yo yos up and down nearly every day. I just feel despair. It might not sound much of a weight gain but when you are doing everything in your power to lose it and it just wont go... You feel you are going insane.. I have even had water pills for water retention and guess what nothing..... its still up and down....

The weight only goes on my boobs and stomach..... I look pregnant... Now i can understand a couple of people getting a few similiar side effects but after reading this forum thats too much of a coincidence. What worries me is that we are not being told about these side effects. I have had to research this myself. My dr looks at me like I am mad.... Now they either are all stupid or knowingly giving women a jab that has some very nasty side effects.... and what bothers me is there is no evidence given to tell us if there will be any further long term side effects. I have been told it will leave your system in 6mths a year 18 mths, sounds like they are just picking a number out of the air, and hoping I will go away.

Please can someone tell me does the weight come up and how long does it take..... ????

Actually I had a really screwed up period the whole time I was on the depo shot. I was on it for 9 months. I was supposed to get my shot July 7th but didnt because it seemed like I was on my period all the time and I hated it. Well even after I got off I was still having my period every two weeks well now its september and im pregnant.

I have been researching depo for some time now because of my own experiences (horrid - no periods after being off over a year, weight gain after the first 2 years and continuing now despite a strict diet and workout routine, SEVERE depression, acne I have NEVER had before, severely sensitive breasts and hair loss, and bone loss despite my daily intake of dairy and calcium supplements for years, lack of family support BECAUSE of lack of medical support) with this shot. I understand *some* women seem to do well on it, but the overwhelming majority of us seem to have similar problems. I don't mean to start a fight with women going through what I am, but we're really gullible! Look at us -- years later and we're fatter, moodier to an extreme, depressed to the point we're some of us on meds for that too (which the weight doesn't help), and are suffering bone density issues (which most women experience anyway, so this makes it worse), and are afraid it's chemically castrated us!!! Bullocks to the Drs who say it's our fault we eat more, are getting older, and therefore have gone from moderate weights to overweight. Give me the name of a lawyer willing to class action this!!! I am in. It's time to take back our medical rights as well as the rest. We're too willing to agree we might be wrong. Tell that to our families who have to suffer through our misery too!!! Did you know: Depo was used in 3rd world countries as a trial for chemical castration and has been the subject of countless black box warnings here in the States? Did you know: Pfiser pays doctors to "push" depo as a safe birth control option? Did you know: the drug companies word the results of studies and pay off government agencies worse than oil companies in order to sell more drugs? Look at what happened to the news of anti-depressants "not working" last Spring? If you knew that most of the people on the committee to write the DSM-IV (used by professionals to clinically diagnose depression, for one) are either working for or paid by drug companies, what would you say?

Find me a lawyer, I say.

I was on depo for a year. At first, it was pretty terrible because I had a period for like 3 weeks and spotted a lot after that. But once my body started adjusting (after about a month and a half), it was great. I stopped having periods, (always nice). But after about a year I noticed that I had ZERO sex drive, it was awful! I also gained about 10 pounds while on depo. So I decided to quit the depo all together. It's been a month since I've been off of it and I still haven't had a period, I'm quite moody, I have terrible break-outs, I'm a little anxious, my weight is going up and down, my breasts are a little sore, I have repeated hot flashes (and I'm only 18), and as for my labido, it's started to come back but I still don't feel back to normal and it's driving me insane! %-) I don't think I would reccomend the depo shot because I am very young, and I had a healthy sex-drive, I was at a healthy weight and I think depo really affected those things in a very negitive way when it should not have. Although, I will say that going on the shot REALLY balanced out my moods. I was sweet as could be while on the shot! Not having periods was nice, too but coming off the shot is very frustrating.

i too have had these strange symptoms since getting off the depo at the end of april. i'm 31 and i was on the depo shot for almost 7 years and honestly i loved it. no periods! my sex drive did suffer and i didnt relize how bad until i got off the shot. well since getting off the shot, my boob hurt alllll the time. i started spotting in may for about a week then didn't get anything again until aug, that one lasted about 3 weeks. it was just real light. then i got it back again towards the end of sept and now its oct. 9 and i still have it and its heavier but still strange, by the end of the day its gone and when i wake in the morning its back. i can say that i didn't gain wait on the shot but since getting off of it, i've gained about 15 pounds. in the last week or so i noticed i have a lot of kidney pain only on the left side and that is the same side that i have been having my period cramping on. i have no idea if the 2 are conected. my moods are good for the most part and i haven't had any night sweats and my sex drive is returning, and man my husband loves that.

Here is my account of Depo Provera:

I am a healthy 25 y/o female that has been on the depo shot for 1yr 11 months. I have tried the pills as birth control and really cannot remember to take them. I tried the patch and developed sever abdominal cramping and blood clots from that, then my doctor suggested the depo shot. The idea of just going once every three months was appealing, not to mention the fact that all I would have to pay was for my doctor's visit every time I get the shot, as opposed to paying out of pocket every month for the other BC options.

I recently got into the nursing program, and learned from one of our lectures that they do not recommend women to be on the depo shot for more than 2 years because of the higher risk for osteoporosis, and earlier menopause. I liked the shot because of the convenience, but HATED the side effects. I gained 50lbs, have no sex drive which is the worse thing for me and my husband. So I decided to take my final dose of Depo before the 2 yrs comes up and talk to my doctor about another alternative, perhaps the nuva ring?

Because of Hurricane Ike, and the wide spread power outage, I have not been able to get to my OBGYN, and thus missed my shot that was due for last month. Now I am experiencing much of the same symptoms that every one has, hyperactive bowel signs, nausea, headaches, body pains, night sweats, difficulty adjusting to external temperatures, distended abdomen, spotting every other day, breast tenderness, but also I noticed that immediately from waking, I have mild full body tremors that are very distressing and uncomfortable, I noticed I've been getting weaker, I experience episodes of hypoglycemia but I am not diabetic.

It is unfortunate that information is not provided to us by our providers, thus why we need to be more proactive about obtaining new information about anything that goes into our body. Forums like these are a big help.

good luck to everyone and hopefully those of us that are experiencing withdrawal symptoms will have relief soon.