i missed a shot by about a week, everything was fine until my husband and i had sex- then the next day, i started to bleed heavilly (i hadn't had any spotting or anything at any other point durring the time period i was on the shot). while heavy, the bleeding did only last about a day and a half. however, a few days after that i became very sick, and this lasted about three or four weeks, long enough for me to think maybe because i was late on my shot i'd become pregnant, i took a test and was not, but i remained feeling nauscious, dizzy, weak, tired and just generally ill for some time afterward.
that was the last shot i had, as we are wanting to start a family (and heard how damned difficult it is to do so after having been on the shot!) it has now been only 3 days past when i was supposed to have had the shot. i am already feeling sick! also, i don't know if this is related or not, but i have become incredibly thirsty, and am basically walking around with a glass of water in my hands at all times. has anyone else experienced that?

I'm just coming off it at the moment after 7 years on Depo... I thought I was fine but for the last few days I've been incredibly down and close to tears all day. I was due for my last shot 3 months ago, and have had a light period happening for about 3 weeks now. It kinda goes away and comes back, very annoying. I'm very close to just going back on it as I don't want to have kids any time in the near future, and at least on the Depo my hormones were on in level, calm place.

I seriously thought I had been loosing my mind over the past 8 months ….. and am so glad to stumble across this, albeit it too late.

To add my tale to the pie …

I am 27 years old and a long time depo user – 13 years. I never experienced any negative effects when I was on it, and in fact lost a lot of weight – from about 64kg down to 52kg. No problems, right?

Well, I decided to give it up for a while, just as a break in Jan this year … and that’s when the fun started …

1) As everyone else, extreme breast pain, resulting in a massive swelling that has not gone away.
2) Rapid and un-shiftable weight gain – 20kg in7 months. I have not changed my diet and exercise program (if anything I have gone more hardcore to get rid of it) but it just keeps coming ….
3) Exhausted a lot, and have had serious mood issues …. I have been anxious, depressed, agitated, and prone to quick mood alteration. I just assumed this was excessive stress from day to day life, however could not ever figure out why this year was worse than the others !!
4) Joint pain – massive joint and muscle pain .. to the point I have issue sleeping (not exercise related, I have tested!)
5) Baaaad headaches, however these have diminished after about 4 weeks off it
6) Still no period, after one massive 3 week intense period about 2 months off the stuff/

No doctor ever suggested stopping the shot. In fact, I have changed doctors a couple of times, informed them of my history with it and they have happily dosed me up.

I actually think it is amazing that there is obviously a LOT of women experiencing theses same effects - concerning effects - and there has been no official response or further investigation from the producers … I am writing to them tonight.

To make matters worse though, I went back last week and got another shot after heavy discussion with my doctor, who assured me it was fine……

Wish I had found this earlier ….

since I was 13 I've had severe period pain with heavy bleeding. It wasn't until landing myself in the hospital from an overdose of tylenol (for pain) that my Doctors decided to take me seriously.
my doc put me on the pill (apri28). a continuous 3 month cycle of it while skipping the placebos. I bled for 3 months. My doc then gave me the option to take the Depo shot. I got it and quickly gaine 7 pounds. ( I am a chronic exerciser) I decided to just stop everything.

I have been off the shot for 3 months and have been bleeding almost straight through. I'll have a 7 day period, stop bleeding for 2 days then start all over with another 7 day period. What the hell is this stuff they've put in me.

I am sick to my stomach and have recently develped severe lower back pain that has forced me to stop jogging.

I too have had some really horrible side effects to this shot. I got the shot for the first time four weeks after my son was born, that would have been early december 2006. While being on the shot things were great, no bad side effects, lost all the baby weight I gained during my pregnancy so I figured it was all good. Well, I got my last shot in early march 2008, it is now october 2008, I have gained all my weight i had lost back, plus more. I still have had no period, I have horrible mood swings between anger and sadness that drives my husband up the wall and causes us to get into fights because he doesn't understand why I feel like I do sometimes, and neither do I. I just feel like it's all ruining my life. I've had the horrible sore breasts that seem to grow daily, I have horrible pain in my pelvic area that has some unknown cause. I've had ultrasounds and other tests done, but no one has come out to say it's all from the depo shot, but after reading all this I'm thinking it may be. I'm going to see and endocrinologist tomorrow because my doctor thinks my weight gain and some other symptoms may be because of another disorder called cushing's syndrome, but I'm hoping if it's the depo shot this doctor can give it to me straight.

This forum was a good find for me as I have been on Depo for over 10 years and after YEARS of my Doctor telling me to stop because of the side effects, I have but not without a wide variety of those side effects now occurring.

I started Depo in my early 20's as the pill was increasing my migraines. Depo was the wonder drug - no daily pill and NO MORE periods!! However, with every medical 'wonder' there are going to be side effects...it doesn't take a brainiac to figure that out. We can bag the drug all we want but we all started it for one reason or another which, most of us probably thought was a good idea at the time.

I now have severe Osteopenia (which can be reversed with suppliments and exercise), weight gain (oh well guess that means I will finally use that gym membership) and the joys (which many have listed) of coming off this drug.

I can't blame anyone but myself as it is the user's responsiblity to check out what possible side effects medication can cause. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely upset because when you are in your 20's you aren't really thinking about the if's and but's of what might happen when you want to come off this drug and start a family. I highly recommend Depo but NOT as a Long Term Birth Control method, to those who are in their 30's or to those who want to start a family in the next couple of years. I highly suggest that ALL USERS (current and post) of Depo have regular full blood workups and a Bone Density Test!!

I am now on my second week of an on/off period (ughhh forgot how much I hated them) which my Doctor reassures me that I am not ovulating with, super sore and SWOLLEN breasts, lower back pain, hot flashes and since stopping Depo, my Cluster Headaches have come back with great force. Very similar to what I experienced when starting Depo.

My husband and I want to start a family but have been told it could take up to 18-24 months as I didn't have a normal cycle before Depo and now I need to reverse the 10+ years of Depo use. This is the most frustrating part.

THANKS to all the great posts - it let's me know that my husband and I are not the only ones going through this and I know that I am not losing my mind! Just hope this damn period ends one day soon! :-)

I too am finding some kind of comfort in these forums... as bad as that sounds. It's not that misery loves company, but atleast I know I'm not alone.

I had my last shot in Jan 08 - so effectively been off 6 months. From what I've read/been told, it's not a matter of waiting for it to 'get out of your system' - that happens after the 12 weeks. It's a matter of your body repairing itself & re-establishing the hormones that depo had been suppressing. I've also heard it doesn't matter whether you had it for 1 year or 10 years, it can still take between 6-24months for your body to get totally back to normal.

Having said all that - for the last few weeks, I've been experiencing all these pregnancy-like symptoms - sore, swollen breasts which produce a milky discharge when squeezed, mild lower stomach cramps/discomfort, lower back pain, intense mood swings & crying ALL the time... NONE of these are symptoms I've ever had previously, even on depo, except when pregnant with my now 8yo daughter. 2 neg hpts, & received neg result from blood test today. Was also tested for prolactin levels (in case of prolactinoma) & thyroid function... all of which is apparently fine. Showed doc the discharge, now he's re-ordered the tests, as well as a breast u/s to rule out anything sinister (although he says its a precaution - both breasts are leaking so cancer is improbable). I didn't want to be pregnant but had myself convinced over the weekend that I was so I'd accepted it & gotten a bit excited. Now I just feel lower than I did before. If/when the new results come back negative, I believe the plan is to just start the Juliet pill - to regulate everything; periods, hormones & hopefully moods. Has anyone gone down this road with any success?

I believe everybody is different & we are all going through some shitty stuff... I also think that even though we all hate depo with a passion, at the end of the day we made the decision to take it (well, most of us did). Had to laugh at someone's earlier comment 'who would've thought we'd be whinging to get our periods back'... I certainly didn't! Perhaps all we can do is wait (even if we are crying/screaming/depressed the whole time) & enlighten any friends of ours considering depo on what happens when you come off... having no periods is a great draw card, & simply hearing a doctor talking about withdrawal effects may not be enough to take it seriously - I didn't.

so i guess im a younin (17) here but i can relate, but in a different way...
so i had been on the shot for a lil over 4 years, and back in july(middle), i missed my shot...well i was fine, i lost the 30 POUNDS i gained while on the shot, and my depression went away and everything was going good, but my breasts where insanely tender and they hurt so bad some days that i couldnt even stand to wear a bra, which is hard to believe with me. but a week after the 12 weeks was up(missed shot), i started my period...this thing lasted 7 on 2 off 5 on 7 off and then 9 on...it was insane, and really annoying. that went on crazy like that for about a month before i went back in to get my shot in the beginning of september.
Now here is the Sh*tty part...I got back on the shot back in early september. Since then, i have been nauseus(sp?), weak, i have abdominal cramping(major), diarreah(sp?), aches and pains all over my body(especially arms), crazy mood swings, severe depression, and consistant migranes... now i know that i am not going through withdrawls cuz im back on the shot...and no doctor can tell me what is going on...but i suggest if you have anything like im havin...DONT GO BACK ON IT after coming off it for a few months....this is like torture, and im all for pain and stuff like that, but this is too much....
anyone else know what this is like???

Thanks everyone for posting. Like several of you I have been freaking out with symptoms of pregnancy. I hate the way this drug has played with my emotions as well as my body. Even though I've taken two tests, both negative, my emotions keep swinging and trying to convince me that the tests are wrong.

The weight gain has also been horrible. I wish I could provide hope that it comes off easily, but this is my second time coming off of depo and it took two years to clear my system and then several months in Weight Watchers to get the weight to start coming off. The first time coming off depo I do not remember having these horrible symptoms. I had much more stress at that time however and I may have attributed the symptoms to the severe stress at the time.

I wish I could go back and never have taken the injection.

okay I was hoping to get comfort in reading this whole thread but i didn't. Has anyone actually gotten preg right after stopping depo? I only had one dose this July. My shot was due on oct 2nd which was exactly 90 days but i didn't go due to the depo was making me depressed. Well me and my Dh where unprotected on the 9th, 11th and 15th of this month. Now I feel like c**p, back ache wake up at 2 am sick, waking up to go to the rr, which i never do, and my bbs are very sore. I doubt its my hopes being up, bc with the economy right now i could wait a few months till having a baby. But what could be wrong with me?

I was taking depo for about 1 and 1/2 to 2 years. I went on it because I was having severe cramps and my doctor had told me that this would be a good option. I decided to go off of it because I wanted to be natural. For about 6 months after the last shot I hadn't gotten my period, only some spotting here and there. I didn't experience the cramping or feeling i was pregnant though. Then I finally thought I gotten my period, yes finally :-), but it only lasted for 2 days and continued with spotting again, this happened again a month later. about 1-2 months after that I got my period and really thought i finally got it, and I was so relieved to be back to normal. That was over 5 weeks ago and I still have my period equally as strong. WHATS GOING ON??!! I don't feel like calling my doctor because I know that she'll say that its normal and to just wait it out, but I really think that 5 weeks is enough. I'm so confused.

I went on the shot a year ago since I am not good at remembering to take pills and the IUD was making sex painful (or so I though). My husband and I are ready for baby #2. My shot window is this week but I wont be getting it. I'm already experiencing sore nipples, tender breasts, headaches, swollen boobs, crying at the smallest things. I am so hurt and upset that my doc was so quick to start me on the shot without telling me about the side effects. I was 23 when I went on it so he had to have figured that I might want to get pregnant again and should have warned me. It's really just sad to me. Expecially since I have a history of miscarrages and am scared to death to try to get pregnant and possibly miscarry bc of Depo. I've sworn off BC of any type and am going to try charting and working around my fertile days in regards to getting pregnant.

I can say though that my friend decided to "be lazy" in her words and not get her shot. 3 weeks later she was pregnant and delivered a healthy babygirl who is now 2. That does give me some hope and hopefully it does to some of you other ladies.

About 5 months after my first period (the periods within the 5 months were irregular in timing but not bad), i started my 3rd period and the first day was shockingly bloody. after heavy bleeding accompanied by polyps for two weeks i went to the doctor. i bled terribly like that for 3 months and no one could figure out what was wrong with me so i got a D&C. i was supposed to stop bleeding within a few days. i kept bleeding, very lightly, for about a year and a half. after the D&C i tried a few kinds of birth control pills before eventually going on Depo Provera. I was on it for about a year and a half when I stopped taking it, as well as any other type of birth control, and i stopped bleeding completely for 9 months.

I was so glad to have found this site, I have been really frusturated for the past few months...

I've been on birth control since i was 16. (i am now 21)I started the shot and was on it for three years. I gained a lot of weight and was very moody so I decided to switch from the shot to the pill. No problem. I then tried to "detox" my body and go off of birth control completely and ended up going back on the pill in oct 2007. I then got pregnant 2 weeks later but ended up miscarrying in dec 2007. After bleeding and spotting off and on I went back on the pill once my miscarriage was complete. I then decided in April 2008 to switch to the shot again so I wouldnt have the worry of remembering to take the pill everyday. BOY do I regret that decision. My last shot was due Sept. 09,2008. The week it was due I started spotting, brown. I have been spotting and bleeding anywhere from bright red blood to brown blood every single day since my last shot was due. My breasts are also sore, but that comes and goes. I am so sick of bleeding, it makes it incredibly hard to feel "sexy". My boyfriend is very understanding about it, but I have had enough. I called my doctor today and they said that I can go on the pill for a month to help regulate my body. I really really hope this works or I dont know what to do!!! has anyone else tried this? and did it work?

I wish everyone the best of luck!

I'm 17 and I got the depo shot in July, it was my first time using any form of birth control. I got my last period in August, but it still hasn't come back yet. I thought I was suppose to get it a few times since I had the whole sore boobs and random back pains, but nothing. I'm scared this lack of period could mean I'm pregnant, but I was wondering if it's normal to have no period 3 months after the shot is worn out. I knew the shot came with some risks but this is just ridiculous! %-)