I am so glad to see that I am not crazy! I started Depo shot in July 2008 and recieved another in October. I was due for another this past january but decided against it. The whole time I was on the shot I was spotting nastily. I also gained a whopping 35 pounds! About 3 weeks ago I started feeling really emotional. Little things would make me cry, sometimes I would cry for no reaason at all! Then I noticed that every morning I awoke to stiff joints, especially in my hips and back. My husband keeps asking what's wrong with me and all I say back is "I don't know!" and then I cry again... I have absolutely NO energy and feel so depressed even though I have absolutely no reason to be. I googled "depo withdrawal" out of curiosity today and I am so glad to find that all of these symptoms are explainable. I just wonder how long this is supposed to last? I can't wait till my husband gets home so I can tell him what's "wrong with me". He suggested last night that I go see a "head" doctor, and I was so worried. I hope everyone here gets better! Me included!

Hey Ladies,
I feel weird writing my personal/medical business on a public forum but all of your posts helped me so much so it is my turn to maybe help the next young woman. I am 21 and have been on consistent hormone therapy for the last 6 years due to severe endometriosis. I have been on Depo for the past 5 years, I hated the Pill. I don't take Depo for birth control, ITS NOT WORTH IT, I take it because I have to in order to stay out of the ER. Additionally, I am on the same birth control dose but instead of every three months, I take it every four weeks.

I am in the process of switching insurance/physicians/etc. so have not had my shot for going on 8 weeks. For me, that is two missed doses. Let me tell you, I honestly thought I was going crazy and think I still might be. I am shaky, nervous, eating like a cow (oh by the way, I've gained 90 pounds on Depo in the last 6 years! talk about stretch marks!) I totally relate to the girl who said she feels like she is outside her body saying "stop!!" My forehead and nose have started spewing oil and no topical treatment (no matter how expensive) has helped. I can't concentrate on anything (totally opposite of how I normally am), am a bit irritable, and most importantly, just do not feel like myself. I am so anxious and nervous that I can barely live my normal life. My sleep is off too and that of course does not help. I am lucky to be able to use meditation and other spiritual/religious/cultural techniques (I'm Indian) to calm myself down and make it through the day, but I honestly just feel like a crazy person. I am so glad I am not alone in this!!!

My situation is unique but I am sharing my experiences with you girls just so you know that you are not the only one experiencing this weird withdrawal! You would think its cocaine or something...

Lovemonkey, I definitely recommend an anti-anxiety med to assist with the withdrawal. I'm soooo much better. My 3rd shot was supposed to be March 6th and though I shake a tad... I'm not emotional anymore at all. I have my focus back. The Dr I saw told me that withdrawal can last for as little as a week up to 6 mos. It's almost like a postpartum depression. Since being on the Paxil, my heart is more regular and my shakiness is controlled. I hope to come off with Paxil within 3 mos.

Also, my doctor set me up with a contraceptive specialist to discuss all my side effects/withdrawal b/c they had never seen someone with all of the side effects I had (of course I told them I found this bulletin board and I wasn't alone). I plan to tell them EVERYTHING I experienced and I won't take any more hormone therapy for awhile. I was on it b/c when I get my period I become so anemic that I had to be on something to control my period. I will deal with the anemia over this. I'm just thankful to be thinking clearly again. I'm not 100%, but it's so much better than 3- 4 weeks ago.

Also, I'm currently on my 2nd month of a period. This shot is evil. I'm sure it works for many, but for those it doesn't work for... it's evil.

I had to reply to this thread - I was on depo from July 1999 - July 2007, 8 years worth, as I had a long term relationship and felt it was easy and reliable (and also hassle free with the periods not being there). But after the relationship broke up I thought about how I wanted to get back to "normal" and with the next boyfriend, just used the pill instead. But still, no periods returned. It took until this month (March 2009) for them to return. Keep your chin up, think they return eventually...

I had a baby 9/22/08, bled for the first 6 weeks, got my checkup and the dr. recommended depo. I got my first and ONLY shot 11/03/08 and have been bleeding EVER SINCE! I did stop for like a week, on Feb 16 then began to have preg. symptoms (breast sensitivity, headaches, bloating, etc.) so on Feb 24 when I began cramping and having what I thought was my period I was happy to be back to normal. Except Im STILL bleeding!! Got a checkup today doc says everything looks ok but recommended Seasonique to stop the bleeding and control my moods as I have been a hormonal wreck!!! I am TERRIFIED to start taking this because I dont want to have another BAD experience. I figure, I can wait it out for the depo to get out of my system but HOW MUCH LONGER!! Had I read up thoroughly on depo before getting the shot I would NOT have gotten it! Now that Im reading up on Seasonique, I dont want to take this either!! What do I do???

OMG... thanks ladies for making me feel normal finally. I feel so bad for all of us.
So I am 4 months off of Depo, and we are ttc#1. This had been a crazy rollercoaster. Ok, we thought we were prego, I got bloated huge, first with my breast. They are KILLING me, cravings like no tomorrow, every single prego symptom in the book. How could I not be right? Or so I thought. Then AF came and wiped me out. I was having regular periods since my last shot, but all these crazy symptoms came on month 3. So after AF, I kept this bloating. Yay me, it turned into weight, I can't fit into anything.... I'm going nuts, and it's all in my stomach. So this month, same c**p with sore breasts is starting again, and bloating. I wish I was prego so I would have something to show for this mess. I
I just hope there is an end in sight.

Thank for listening girls.

Depo... For everyone it seams to be dramatically different, I got pregnant with my daughter exactly three months to-the-date after my shot was due, I had one period prior to the pregnancy, and had a super healthy baby girl. My daughter is five now, and although I didn't have problems coming off depo and getting pregnant then... My last shot was due jan 28, I have had nausea, mood swings, tender everything, pretty much every symptom of being pregnant this time, and my preg test 4 days ago was negative. I don't know what to think of depo this time and I still havnt had spottong or bleeding. I have been off and on the shot since my daughter was born (5) years now, and have decided to stay off it! My boyfriend and I are looking into an IUD, no weird stuff, and you can get pregnant as soon as they remove it! I like the sound of that! Good luck to everyone! If anyone finds anything more useful, please let me know!

_[removed]_

i went on my depo in the october 04 stopped it about 6/8 months laters tried all other pills and still no period not even a lil sign but i been getting all the other signs eg spots mood swings depressions cramps back ache headaches, i have to now see gyne to see why i havent got them back :-(

when i went to my gp to get depo i was not told all the facts i was told it would stop me getting preggers nothing else isnt till i got the internet i found out more and more about it

Studies released in 2004 show that Depo Provera is associated with a loss of bone density resulting in an increased risk of osteoporosis. The bone loss appears not to be reversed when the woman goes off Depo Provera. Depo is not recommended for long term use and especially not recommended when the young woman is still growing her bones. Women on Depo are advised to exercise and take in plenty of calcium. If you have taken Depo Provera for more than two years, you might want to get a bone density test. It can take up to 6 months to get back to normal.

I had my last injection in oct 08 and although I was expecting not to have a period for at least 6 months ( and I haven't had one yet) I was not expecting my breasts to be so sore, hard and swollen. I also have a milk discharge occasionally and thought I was preggers. My breasts are so sore I can't even hug my children and wince when my fiance touches me. I'm going to see my nurse for a smear test on friday, and was going to ask her if it could be cancer, but now Im going to ask her if she was aware of these withdrawal symptoms.

I was happy on the depo and had no symptoms apart from a slight weight gain (around half a stone). I was very pleased not to have a period because they were so painful and was on it from around aug 2005. I only came off because my older sister cannot have children and I want to donate my eggs to her. If it wasnt for that I would not have had known about these awful side affects and could have damaged my system further.

I thought depo was a miracle, now I would not advise anyone to go on it.

I have only taken the depo shot once. I am nearing the three month mark and i have decided to discontinue use. I have had severe anxiety and my sex drive has been almost non existent; but now that the birth control is wearing off, my sex drive is returning and my moods are becoming more stable. I am, however, having anxiety issues still. I have had heart palpitations very often, almost constantly, for about four days now. I have been very tired and my hormones and emotions are on a mini rollercoaster. (as opposed to how it was when the birth control was newly in my system). This drug has increased my appetite and i have gained 5 pounds. i have been struggling with depression since beginning the use of this drug, and i strongly feel that this drug is only suitable for certain people. I am one of those women who fits into whatever the "majority" feels. If you're a "majority girl," do not use this form of bc.

I am 20years old. I was on the shot for 1.5 yrs. While I was on the shot my periods were never regular, They were always at different times of the month and are always very heavy. One time my period lasted a whole month with bad clots! I was told by the docs that my period would go away and it NEVER happened.During taking the Depo I gained 30 lbs!!!! I was due for my shot on March 12 2009. It is now May 6 2009 and I went into the doctors today because I was experiencing similar pregnancy symptoms. My breasts and nipples are so extremely sore I can't even touch them. They are lumpy. I have been nauseated sore and having bad menstrual cramps. I feel overall ill! Thankfully I am not pregnant. My doctor switched me to a different pill to see if it helps regulate me. I am happy that I am not the only one with these symptoms. Depo is the devil and i would never suggest it to anyone!

I am so grateful for all of these posts. I was on the shot for just under 4 years. My last injection was in November 2008 and decided to discontinue rather than get my injection in Feb. because the entire time I was on the shot my face stayed broken out. It was about 3 weeks ago that I started having the crazy emotions, a little paranoia, my entire body was sore (like I had ran a marathon in my sleep) and the night sweats (like I had ran an entire marathon in my sleep). Then the breast tendernes and weight gain, cramping and the weird clear dishcarge. I thought I was pregnant, but the test was negative. I finally got my period 6 months to the day after my last injection. I did hours of research before choosing Depo and asked my doctor and extensive list of questions and nowhere in anything that I found did they say anything about withdrawl symptoms. I don't regret getting on the shot, it was a great form of birth control, and worked very well. I just wish that I would have known what to expect when I decided to go off it, so that I didn't feel like I was going insane.

I just started the depo shot like 6 months ago. At first it was good because it lasts every three months.i tried the pill and the patch but it didn't work for me.The only side effect that I'm noticing so far is hair loss.I'm also worried about bone density.I'm only 24 and I wonder if I should continue this or not.Has anyone tried Mirena?I ''m thinking about switching to that one when its time for another shot.

This topic is closed due to having too many posts.

Please continue posting within the following one:

Strange symptoms after getting off Depo Provera - Part 2