I've been on and off the depo for about 9 years, steadily for the past 5. My shot was due last month and I forgot to reup. I also quit smoking at the same time. For almost 2 months life has been hell. Terrible gas, bloating, mood swings, pooping all the time, crying spells, swelling, night sweats, soreness. swollen legs, ankles, hands, dry skin. I couldn't figure out why I was falling apart. I equated my problems to qutting smoking. I also just found out I have osteoporosis. I'm 25. Upon finding this out my mom did some research and unearthed info and side effects from the depo. Today I decided it was time to do my own reading. I must say I feel so much better knowing I haven't gone completely off the deep end. Everything has really affected my relationship with my boyfriend. The gas and night sweat are miserable. He kept blaming it on my diet which is well monitered and very healthy, I eat tons of veggies and he was always blaming the veggies. Now I can show him I'm not the only one. What has me concerned is the weightb gain. I am very underwieght with a huge bloated gut. I look like ET. Because my stomach looks the way it does I've developed an eatingdisorder. I overeat and overexercise. fROM GOING OFF THE DEPO my abdomen has grown causing my mind to freak out. Unfortunaelty I'm so fatiqued and hurting it's hard to find the motivation to properly workout. I honestly feel like I've lost it. My life has never felt so complicated. Anyway, Iit iis a relief to read that I'm not the only one and there is hope, however it seems I may not be normal again for a while.

:'( I started depo in 2004 after I had my lil boy. I got off in march 2008. Went on the pills for 2months and was find. I wasn't till the second time may 2008 when I got back on depo. Only becouse I missed not .having a period. Well I decided that I wanted to try for a baby so aug08 was my last gab. I was due oct 27 for my next one and didn't go. Wow that's when it all started. I developed a cramping bloated stomach. Gas.Heart burn. Sinusis. Body aches from head to toe. Joint pain. Sore boobs and nipples. Fatigue.A clear discharge like I want to come on my period but nothing is happening. Pregnancy symtoms but not pregnant. Everything bothers me. I guess those are mood swings. Anxiety like something is wrong with me. Worrying all the time of when this will go away. Im irratable and having to deal with all of this and a 4yr old and im a single parent it sucks. Sometimes I just want to stay in the bed. Due to not feeling normal. I've been to the docte r had blood test done and everything is normal. Now people just thank im crazy. But looking at this post I no im not alone. I've decided to take a bp today to regulate my periods. If that will work. I guess my best advise is to take it day by day. Even though I know its hard. By the way im 22 dam...

please evrybody do not ever use that injection again and warn everybody.they use to use it on horses and men in prison!!!!!
it reli fuks up ur body
sorry for the language but i just want u to know how mad i am at my doctor for not telling me all the side affects.

trust me i feel all ur pain!

I was on Depo-provera for 10 years, started at 19 due to
endometreosis stage 2.
I wanted to have children later In life but didn't know
what the outcome of using this drug would be.
I "too" was told great things about this drug but "wasnt" told
about the long term results or notified about the bone loss.
Im sure the AFDA didnt go to great lengths to let young women
know or the makers of Depo-provera, that after I was on it for
10 years, what they "now" dont recommend women be on it
more then two to three years now.....
to freakin late for some of us!!!
the year I finally got of of it I was 30.
felt like a pregnant woman with sore breast and a clear discharge.
I lost half my hair,still isnt growing back,
have to use rogain in the front.. gained 30 pounds and
had severe ovarian cyst that ruptured, along with severe
acne in the lower face and upper back.
and not to mention black hair growth
on my treasue trail and face and shoulders.
I had never had this problem before and
waited over a year to see if it would normalize out
and It didnt! so now I am taking Yaz,
it does wonders for bad hair growth
as well as helping me lose weight and my acne has cleared.
but I think ..now what??,
I married and want to have a child...
Im I going to half to go through that weird physical stuff again?
anybody that went though this too please let me know.

Im 17 and i got on depo in April and i stopped it October 2008. Now the hole time i was on it i bleed very badly. I went to the Dr. and he told me that it wasnt anything wrong but i knew it was. in October i thought that i was pregnant, everything keep pointing to pregancy but i wasn't ok so the next day after comeing from the Dr. i stopped bleeding out of nowhere i was so happy now its December and me and my boyfriend want a baby but it seems like the hardest thing to do. :'( I wish some one would have told me about the shot be4 i got on it b/c that was the biggist mistake in my life :-( .For the past some days i have been cramping. i hope that i can have kids if not now one day b/c this is really making me think that i will never have kids. every time i turn around it someone else pregnant it really makes me fell bad b/c i wasnt that i know that im young and i shouldn't want to have a baby but i want it and im ready....
But if i could stop someone from making the same mistake that i did by getting on the shot... b/c its not worth it at all.. AT ALL....... :$ >:(

I only had three depo shots and I am 24 years old and it has messed me up for life. I was bleeding all the way through all the shots. I was supppose to go back September 25,08 to get my fourth shot but I couldn't stand the pain I went through while I was on the shot. My doctor did not tell me the side effects of this deadly drug. I had to be hospitalized three to four times because I lost alot of blood and I was so depressed I thought about hurting myself. But the hospital I went to got me to where I am today. I have been off this deadly drug for two months and when I have a period I bleed for about three weeks at a time. Which that is not normal for me at all. I usually only go for about 5 days. The hospital gave me a wonderful prescription drug that has made me stop bleeding and I WILL NEVER GET BACK ON THIS SHOT FOR ANY REASON AT ALL.... I have only been married to my husband for seven months and the bleedin I was going through prevented me to love my husband how I wanted to love my husband. But this wonderful man I am with stuck by my side and we are still happily married.

My wife took the depo shot the other day with out telling me. I was looking it up on line here and other places. I had expressed to my wife that I would like another kid and she agreed with me. We were going to try in feb or march to make that happen. I am reading all these horror stories about this thing and have decided to leave her for the poor choice she made. I would have rather gone with out than have her take the shot.

After my boobs started getting sore and I was getting nausea after I went off the shot I was considering going to get a pregnancy test even though I was on Depo and had my tubes tied! It felt so much like when I was pregnant I was convinced I was. Glad I searched the net for symptoms coming off depo, now I am happy that I am "normal" ha ha ha. The first time I went off it a few years back I was off for a year and period came back perfectly normal and within days after the last shot was due. Now this time it's been almost a month and nothing but pregnancy symptoms. So I guess your body doesn't react the same each time you use it.

Ok, so the last shot I got was in Jan 08. Talking to my Dr. They said, I should be back on a reg. Track between 3 - 12 months. And, made it very clear to me, that my shot would be effective, until I started my period again.

I didnt get a period the entire, two years I was on the shot. Which, was beautiful. I knew about the Bone Density side effect. Which, lets face it, I never worried about.

In Nov. I finally got a period (shortly after having every preggo symtom, and thinking I was pregnant for almost a month) and felt better about everything I expieriened. I go online today, to try to find out why I had a period Nov 21, and started really heavy again today Dec. 7. Why my breasts are sore all the time, and other things that have been happening to my body. Only to find out, it happens to alot of women that get off the shot.

Now, I dont have medical insurace, and dont know whats normal... when I will be normal again. Or, what... I just wish I wouldve known about this sooner...

Wow!! I guess you must have really meant the vows you took when you married her. What a champ! Your wife is probably not ready to take on the additional duties of having another child! How selfish are you? I bet your wife takes care of everything while you sit around watching TV and playing video games and you probably don't see the issue. What a jerk!!!

I recently stopped getting the depo shot after being on it for a little over four years. I used to get really bad periods and have such horrible cramps that I would miss a lot of school and work. I loved not having periods while on depo. My boyfrind was always telling me that it was unnatural, and I was also wondering if it would ruin my chances of having kids some day. My doctor had said it was okay to be on it for as long as I was. I took calcium suplements because I was warned of the loss of bone density. I was never warned of what was going to happen once I stopped the shot. I was supposed to get my last shot on October 6th, but I chose not to get it. My doctor told me that it could take a couple weeks to a few months to start my period. I had horrible cramps and pains in the lower left side of my back and my left leg. I found heating pads useful to temporarily relieve the pain (try it, I hope it helps). My breasts were so sore! I felt like crying all the time because of the pain. I started taking anti-depressants right after I got off of the shot. I thought I was pregnant even though I knew I couldn't be. Finally I got my period on December 6th. Since then my breasts are back to normal and the back pain has gone away. I've been having horrible night sweats, though. I wake up soaked! I'm hoping this will go away soon. But to all of you ladies who are still suffering, there is hope! I'm now taking birth control pills so I'm hoping they'll be better for me. Good Luck!

I am so very grateful for finding this thread!!! I thought I was going totally crazy - maybe massive PMS that has been unbareable. I got of Depo June 2008 - six months ago. I have had 8 periods in 3 months and totally sore breasts. I hope that I can wait it out until is gets out of my system completely - instead of getting on another birth control. Anti-depressants sound like a good plan!! Blessings to all that are going through this!!

WOW I am so grateful to find this thread. I got pregnant on the pill twice and had ectopic pregnancies both times. My Dr. recommended that I get on the shot since my history was not very good on the pill and another tubal pregnancy could kill me! I have been on Depo-Provera for 14 years, I had the classic weight gain and every other symptom under the sun!! I have been diagnosed in the past with severe depression, IBS, Poly cystic Ovarian disease, anxiety attacks, and massive migraines. After reading this discussion I think that these diagnoses may have been caused by the Depo??
I decided to get off Depo Oct 2008, my last shot was in Aug 2008, I am 37 years old and a smoker, my thought was I don’t want to add any more issues to my plate like heart disease, clots and whatever else birth control can cause. My husband was willing to get a vasectomy and agreed with my decision.
OMG I feel like I am going to die!!! My boobs hurt SOOO BAD, I feel like I have been run over by a MAC truck, I am constantly tired, I have no energy, at night I sleep so poorly. Did I mention that I feel like I have been hit by a SEMI Truck?? At first I thought I was getting sick but this has been going on since the first part of November! I hope it will all go away soon nothing touches the pain.

I also was on depo I was on it for 9 years and in Nov 18 I was suppose to get another shot but I started to have cramps like I was going to sopt but nothing ever happened and no one what is wrong with me and still haven't gotten a spot again yet. Someone help emails at _[removed]_

I am so happy to find out I am not losing my mind! I am 40, and have only had two shots, and am now due for a third. Thank God I found this site before I got it! Even though I had no period with the first shot, it seems I have been bleeding constantly (some light, some heavy) since I got the second, and have been having constant cramps for the past month. For the past two weeks I have been having an on/off period! Just when I think it's gone, it comes back! I also have terrible night sweats, which I thought may be a sign of menopause until I read this thread. Also, I have had extreme mood swings and crying jags even though I am on antidepressants! How messed up is that???!!!??? I have also been experiencing discharge (sometimes clear, sometimes like the one after a period ends), and (sorry to be graphic) odor that my fiance noticed. I don't have any infection, so I am wondering if this could be from the Depo. Has anyone else had this happen? I never had those things going on before Depo. :-(