I have a question regarding a swelling an my jaw two months after an apicoectomy and cystectomy was performed on my lower molar (number 6). The tooth itself does not hurt, but there the jaw is swollen. It does not show on the outside, but it is quite large on the inside. What could be the cause? My oral surgeon said I should come in four months and have it x-rayed then. He thinks its just a reaction of my young body to the surgery. Is this a plausible explanation? Should I be worried?

Yes, swelling is expected after this type of the procedure - but it should not last much more than two weeks. So, the most important question is - how long has it been since you had the procedure? It shouldn't make any major difference whether you are young or not. It's the opposite- your body is more vital and can heal faster. But, if you notice white bump or any change in the amount of swelling or pain, you will have to call up your doctor because those might be the signs of an infection.

nikols wrote:

puncik wrote:

Well, now it's almost been six months since the surgery. A white bump appeared, a fistula, which drains itself from time to time. I went to the doctor, he thinks its an sinfection that might have been caused by remaining bacteria in some root canals that weren't cleansed due to their inaccessibility; or by a metal allergy provoked by the disintegration of the cement used in the root canal filling. Now he suggests tooth extraction or a second apicoectomy, in the success of which he doesn't believe. He sais that leaving the infection untreated might lead to other health problems (he didn't say when those might arise). As to the swollen jaw, it's still the same. The question is: will something bad happen if I leave it the way it is, given that it doesn't hurt despite the fistula? And if yes, when? Thanks for all replies.

i am in the exact same situation after my apico... what did u end up doing? leave it as is or get another root canal or extract tooth itself.