I was advised by my dentist that I need an apicoectomy done on tooth #30. Do you have any drawings of this procedure? One dentist I called said he won't do that kind of procedure because it is too dangerous.

What are the risks involved? Is it safe? I have an appointment with an endodontist on 10/9
Any info you can give me on this procedure would be appreciated.

Thanks!

An Apicoectomy, or Root-End Resection, is the removal of the root tip and the surrounding infected tissue of an abscessed tooth.
The procedure itself takes between 30 to 90 minutes, depending on the location of the tooth and the complexity of the root structure.
During the procedure dentist cuts and lifts the gum away from the tooth so the root is easily accessible. The infected tissue is removed along with the last few millimeters of the root tip.Then, 3 to 4 millimeters of the tooth's canal are cleaned and filled.
Your stitches will be removed 2 to 7 days after the procedure and all soreness and swelling is typically after the surgery and they are usually gone after 14 days.
Procedure is very safe and the main risk is that the surgery may not work and the tooth may need to be extracted.

Hope this helps...

The above post is pretty much right on about the procedure. I recently had an apicoectomy on tooth #7 (right next to my front teeth, on the right side). I had my surgery last Monday. Unfortunately, I was not sedated for the procedure, but it still wasn't too bad. The pain afterward was annoying, but better than the pain I went in with. Gums are still puffy and sore even now, one week later, but I've heard it takes a long time to heal. Antibiotics were hard on my stomach, but 100% necessary, clearly. Pain was managed well with a small amount of Vicodin and ibuprofen alternating for a few days. Still waiting to be completely healed, but overall a pretty easy procedure that sounds much scarier than it is. :-)

I had this procedure done 2 days ago on an upper front incisor which lasted about 30 minutes, I wasn't sedated although i wish i had been. I would recommend sedation but i must emphasise that the procedure did not hurt at all with local anaesthetic it just feels a bit heavy going. I also had a cyst removed during the procedure, so i must stress for people not to put off having the treatment done and risk the situation getting worse.
I have not been in pain at all, I have disolvable stitches which i have been told will take about 3 weeks to disappear, the only discomfort is slight swelling of the area which i would say is minimal and a mildly sore/tingly feeling which i would say feels the same as having your gum scrubbed by a rough toothbrush, really nothing at all. I have been put on antibiotics for 5 days and told to take ibuprofen which i presume is to help with pain and inflammation. Please be aware that some people are intolerant of ibuprofen, but my after care leaflet says paracetamol are ok to take.
This is a very common procedure, and is carried out at a maxillofacial surgery department at the hospital not in a regular dental surgery.
FYI, this is coming from someone who has been terrified of dentists for years but luckily found a caring and understanding dentist and i have now got over my fears.
If you have any worries at all ask your dentist as they will know exactly what the procedure will involve and may go someway to reassuring you.
Hope this helps. :-D

Can you sue a dentist if he left sealant under the gum which has caused chronic infection and a $1660 apicoectomy is needed to fix the problem and rid of infection. It was also left on the nerve.