I had a root canal many years ago that was just not of the quality that one would expect for the money spent. I had the root canal retreated and unfortunately it failed once again. An apicoectomy was recommended and so it was done. I had my stitched removed about a week ago ... and I am experiencing some residual discomfort. I am awaiting a new cap, but is it normal to feel discomfort? My dentist told me the infection was pretty bad post surgery. I am worried! Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Pain is often associated with the infection of a failed root canal and subsequent apicoectemy. If you feel it's too bad, you may want to contact the doctor who did the surgery.

I know it’s pretty hard to still feel discomfort and the pain even after post apicoectomy, but yes, it is expected and fortunately it will go away. The procedure itself was done to remove the source of the infection – the abscess that has formed around root canal, but it still might take some time, as your dentist said, for infection to clear up completely.
 The important part is that the main source of infection is gone now.
But, most of the pain in fact comes from the healing process. This procedure is very tough; it goes as deep as the nerve ending of the tooth, so there really is little way to avoid the pain completely. Still, if it doesn’t start to get better really soon, you definitely might need antibiotics.