My son is 17 years old and he had tooth problems caused by infection. I just know it really makes me worry because he had over reaction. He was so scared when dentist made appointment for making some canal. It didn’t work so he should perform apico surgery now. Can you tell me if that is normal or it really goes wrong, when apico surgery is required?

It is not so rare that root canal is sufficient to treat to tooth infection. However, there are some situations where procedure is not so simple. Sometimes infection site at the end of the root fails to heal after a root canal done. I guess dentist tried with this procedure first, which is required. Problem is that sometimes this root canal might cause further infection and painful inflammation. Apicoectomy or so called apico surgery may save the tooth by removal of the infected tissue. Surgeon will made a small incision over the site and remove the infection. Then this area will be cleaned and the wound will be closed. With the infection absent, new bone can fill in the region, which will solve his problem. You should explain to you son this apico surgery is necessary to solve infection and save his tooth.