I have a son with terrible teeth problems. When we took him to the doctor, he recommended him apicoectomy. We have never heard for this procedure, so we are all a little bit worried for him. Is there anyone with apicoectomy experience who might share it with us? We would appreciate any info, since our son needs to undergo this procedure very soon.

I have apicoectomy experience, since my sister had this procedure done few months ago. That is why I know a lot about it, and I hope this will help you understand the point of it. His teeth are held in place by roots that extend into jawbone. Front teeth usually have one root, while other teeth, such as premolars and molars in the back of mouth, have two or more roots. An apicoectomy may be required when an infection develops or persists after root-canal treatment. During root-canal treatment, the canals are cleaned and inflamed or infected nerve tissue is removed as a goal of this procedure. Root-canal systems are very complicated, and sometimes, even after root-canal treatment, infected debris can remain in these branches. An apicoectomy is the removal of the root tip, or apex, along with the tissue associated with the apex. Procedure is done to stop the infection. An apicoectomy is sometimes called endodontic microsurgery because this kind of a procedure is performed under an operating microscope.

Hi there !!

I had an apicoectomy last week on my lower fronts (4 of them).

I was a bit apprehensive going in to the procedure, however the oral surgeon was very quick to put me at ease. The sensation is not particularly pleasant, although if the local anaesthetic works properly, it will be painless. This was unfortunately not the case for me, as the underlying infection inhibited the effectiveness of the local anaesthetic.
The procedure is, by it's very nature, intrusive, so your son should expect
some sensation, even if the area is fully numbed, the sensations i'm referring to are tugging and vibration. He will not feel the incision one little bit.
For the following 4 or so days afterwards, eating was difficult, soup was about all I could manage. Ibuprofen was also a large part of my diet. Speaking for too long was uncomfortable. Although the amount of actual pain was not significant.

Hope everything goes well

I recently had an apicoectomy done on a lower molar. While I was not experiencing any symptoms, my dentist noticed a spot in the tissue near a root, thus the apicoectomy. After numbing the area and being given nitrous oxide, the oral surgeon cut a flap of skin in the gum tissue on the outside of the affected tooth' root. The area near that root was cleaned carefully and the surgeon stitched the gum skin flap back in place with disolving stitches. I was told to ice the area 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off for the first day. I brushed all other teeth with a new toothbrush to eliminate introducing bacteria to the operated area. I was also given a mouth rinse since I could not brush the area. A prescription for Vicodan was given for pain. I am not on my fourth day post-op and still feel quite a bit of pain. I have re-filled the Vicodan prescription. I plan to call tomorrow to see if the degree of pain is normal. Good luck.

I just had an apicoectomy done this morning on one of my incisors (upper front teeth). Overall, the procedure was not too bad. I underwent the procedure with local anesthetic only. For the most part, this was OK. But when the surgeon was nearing the end of the procedure, I did experience some pain. Now, my numbness has worn off and I have yet to take any of the narcotic pain medication they prescribed for me. So overall, I had a pretty good experience so far.

S. T.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am going to have an apico on front tooth in a couple of weeks, and I would like to learn more about it, preferable from someone who went through this. Was there lots of swelling afterwards? How long was the procedure? Thank you for now. Maria

I had an apicoectomy on my front tooth yesterday morning. I was very anxious about the procedure. I had 2 root canals in the tooth in the past 16 months and was still having pain and discomfort. The endodendist gave me local anesthestics. The procedure in total took a little less than an hour. I never felt any pain during the procedure...just a little weirded out by all the buzzing of the instruments and a sensation of pressure. I didn't expect all the swelling afterward and I'm not sure how much all the icing helped, but advil and tylenol are my best friends right now. The stitches (I had 4 ) poking into the inside of my upper lip are one of the most uncomforatble parts of this but they come out on Monday morning. All in all, I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The swelling is less today than it was last night so hopefully I'm on the mend. I just wish I knew if going through all this will cure the problem...I guess time will tell.

I had an apicoectomy on my two front teeth Nov. of 2007, after root canals I had at age 10 abcessed. The procedure went fine, I used ice for the first day, and had a lot of puffiness under my nose and up to my eyes for a few days. Pain was easily controlled with Tylenol for me. I still have very mild soreness occasionally five months later, but my dr. told me that would be normal for seven months.

When being referred for an apicoectomy be sure that the doctor will make an opening above the tooth to be treated. I had the procedure done on my front tooth. The doctor made a long incisions from the top of the adjoining two teeth at gum line up to underside of my lip.
After it healed I have gaping holes in top of the two teeth. I was butchered and deformed needlessly! Why he did this I will never know.
Had he made the entry site above to access root I would not be ashamed of my smile.

I had apico. on my upper front tooth yesterday. I had local anes. and Nitrous gas. i never felt even a needle prick. I had absolutely no pain. I felt pressure from the Dr. scraping and burring the infection away, but that's all. I went back to work with no prob. I did ice often, and took ibuporfen often. I was told to sleep propped up or I would swell. I didn't sleep that propped up, and I did swell. i looked like someone clobbered me, black eye and all this morning. It still didn't particularly hurt. Tonite the swelling is down quite a lot. I was told to stay on antibiotics before and after. And i was told to keep a small roll of gauze (1x1) rolled into a tube and held under my upper lip for a few days to keep pressure on the surgery site. it does still bleed a little if the packing isn't there and i smile. The Dr. used Gut sutures that will dissolve in about 5 days. Other than my tongue wanting to find anything different in my mouth, the stitches have not bothered me. I had a lg. abscess above that tooth and now have no bone above that tooth. I'm hoping and praying I won't lose that tooth. But this was not at all a bad procedure.

I just had this procedure done on two of my front teeth that I have recurring problems with as a result of an ice skating accident. Anyhow, the procedure was mostly painless and the bulk of the soreness was gone after the first day. My face is still puffy three days after the procedure but my major gripe is the way the dentist did the stitches really doesn't allow me to give much of a smile at all. He kind of anchored the stitches to my teeth, which prevents the incision area from raising, as would normally happen during a smile.

I never realized just how much I took smiling for granted. When I get these stitches out (which won't be for like a week-and-a-half because my dentist is out of town next week) I'm going to be smile alot more often.

I had a apicoectomy this morning. Minus the pressure and sounds of the micro-drill in my mouth, I experience no pain during the procedure.
Four hours after the oral surgery, I am starting to feel some pain in my front tooth. I am taking Hydrocodone and Amoxicillin.
Overall, better than I expected.
I wish I took better care of my teeth sooner - live and learn...

maria_NW wrote:

Guest wrote:

S. T.

I had this done on friday. After the injections i felt no pain during the procedure. It was my fromt tooth. I still cannot eat crunchy things and i am still a bit swollen and I have 3 stitches which will dissolve. Feeling some discomfort today but not too bad really.

I had an apico done a month ago after a crown and root canal didn't solve my tooth pain. the procedure went fine and I didn't even take anything for pain. No swelling or bruising at all. I still have the same mild tooth pain I had before, but I don't think it's infection because when I took antibiotics, it never subsided. I go back in a couple of weeks for a check up. I may just give it time, as I don't want to pull this tooth if it's not necessary. The root canal took care of most of the pain, so it's bearable, but not something I could live with long term.

I had an apicoectomy procedure done today. About a year ago, my #19 tooth was given a root canal treatment. About a week ago, a year later after the RCT, my tooth started hurting severely. I couldn't sleep or eat and my jaw area began to swell tremendously. I went into my dentist who x-rayed it and told me my root canal had been reinfected, (85-90% of root canals are successful). I went to my endodontist the next day. He looked at my tooth. Tapped, tugged it, etc and determined that it was definitely reinfected.

He told me there was 3 options.

1: He could extract the tooth, simplest, cheapest way
2: He could prescribe me stronger antibiotics (i was already on amoxicillin), wait for the swelling to go down, and then do the surgery
3. I could have the surgery done immediately, but it'd be two seperate procedures. (drain jaw area & the apico)

I chose #3. It was $1,260. I was given oxygen, hooked up to monitors and was given an IV. Seriously, all I remember was him saying, You should start to feel the medicine work relatively quick...I said to him...I think it's already working.

Before I knew it, I was lying in my bed with gauze in my mouth and a couple dissolvable stitches inside.

I have slight pain because I was swollen still, but nothing compared to before.

I know surgery can be scary to a lot of people, but I honestly didn't feel a thing. My oral surgeon was the best :-)

hope I helped!

I'm on percocet now