My first Apico on my back molar was done about a year and a half ago, I have been experiencing severe headaches on the right side of my face (the side the apico was done on) and it's clearly referred pain from the unsuccessful apico. I am told I can repeat the apico or opt for a dental implant. To make matters more confusing my benefits do not activate until April 23rd and I cannot wait until then, I have been using a dental clinic because the costs are much lower than a private practice (however it's fair to say you pay for what you get) So do I repeat the apico through the clinic asap (which would cost about $500) or should I go for the implant (very expensive) or should I attempt to wait until my dental benefits kick in and go through a private practice dentist! Please help ASAP

You should act according to your discomfort and pain and decide upon the options that
were given to you.
If you are experiencing pain and severe headaches, I think that you should do something right away. Money comes and goes, I am sure you will cover for it.

I had a successful apicoectomy, so I can’t be a judge on what you should do but I do know what an untreated tooth (or root canal) problem can cause. If your nerves started to degenerate and there is a presence of bacteria, it may cause an infection, release toxins and antibody cells won’t be able to come to the area to kill the bacteria because of the degenerated nerves and lymphatic vessels. And I wouldn’t play with bacteria because I know what it is capable of.

I understand that money could be a problem, but when it comes to teeth, it shouldn’t be a criteria. Go for the best when it comes to your teeth. At least that is my opinion but of course consult a dentists on the benefits of either procedures.

I am 45 yrs. old and have had 3 apico surgeries. There was a 10% chance the last one would take but unfortunately it did not. The apico's were done to my crowned upper front tooth. I believe that I should have stopped after the 2nd apico. My dentist used amalgram to seal the root of my crowned tooth (all 3x's). Due to the use of amalgram I now have a permanent tattoo above my crown which is can only be seen if you lift up my upper lip. I absolutely hate it. When the last apico did not take I had to resort to an an implant. Because of so many infections to the root I had bone loss. The oral surgeon had to do a bone graft before giving me an implant. The bone graft went great and so did the implant procedure thereafter, however, because of so many apico's I do have scar tissue and a amalgram tattoo. Also, my gumline seems to be higher than the adjacent natural tooth. We are currently working on this issue and hopefully there can be a satisfying resolution.