Hello! I am about to have an apico surgery performed on one of my molars in a few days, and I was wondering if anybody experienced any complications with this procedure? Thx for your replies!!!

Yes, once it happened to me but I didn’t fully understand the problem, I just let the dentist take care of it. There was some sort of perforations or something but the dentist took care of it. He referred to it as mechanical failure and that was enough for me. Sorry I couldn’t help you more, but I didn’t want to ask what was going on, as I honestly didn’t want to know. I hate dentists and everything that has to do with teeth problems. They are my worst anxiety!!!!

ratto wrote:

I had it done about 5 years ago, and now have to have it done again. It is when your crowned root canal tooth doesn't totally heal itself, and then the dentist has to go in through your gum, and saw off the tip of your roots to flush out infection. I am in the worst pain I have ever felt right now, because for some reason around the roots of my tooth, it did not heal right. Ask for other options if you can, I am about ready to have this tooth pulled! Apico surgery is SOOOO expensive, and here I have to have it done a second time.

I am 45 yrs. old and have had 3 apico surgeries. There was a 10% chance the last one would take but unfortunately it did not. The apico's were done to my crowned upper front tooth. My dentist's used amalgram to seal the root of my crowned tooth. Due to the use of amalgram I now have a permanent tattoo above my crown which is can only be seen if you lift up my upper lip. I absolutely hate it. When the last apico did not take I had to resort to an an implant. Because of so many infections to the root I had bone loss. The oral surgeon had to do a bone graft before giving me an implant. The bone graft went great and so did the implant procedure thereafter, however, because of so many apico's I do have scar tissue and a amalgram tattoo. Also, my gumline seems to be higher than the adjacent natural tooth. We are currently working on this issue and hopefully there can be a satisfying resolution.

I'm 28 and just had two apicoectomies at ONCE. The pain is pretty intense and the procedure is VERY expensive. My endodontist prescribed me two antibiotics, a prescription rinse and some pain meds. Make certain that you are prescribed a very strong antibiotic like Flagyl and Keflex.......to kill the infection. I'll update you in a few months to see if it works... :-)

shaun

i had one done yesterday. I was so nervous with anticipation. He numbed me with 2 needles and went to work. THe novacaine

wore off in about 5 hours. I took 2 aleve (even tho i was prescribed tylenol w/codiene) and went to bed. Only thing i felt was some

pressure on gum. Other than that im fine. I have 500mg antibiotech taking 4 times per day.

I was able to eat that nite and normal the next day. LEts hope the bill doenst put me in much pain. Havent

recieved that yet.

I work for a dental office, if you are ever told you should have apicoectomy, unless you have a lot of money to spend, use the money to have the tooth pulled and an implant put in. Apico's have a very high failure rate!

I agree totally. I had a root canal go bad and during my travel to Fl from NJ the pain was excruciating. When I got to see an oral surgeon he said I had a massive abcess. He recommended extraction. Best thing I did.

I agree, have the tooth pulled and do an implant.