I had the root canal procedure done on my first molar two months ago and despite having a good dental insurance plan, I still had to pay almost a $1000 for the root canal procedure, crown and x-ray imaging. Despite all that the tooth continued to cause me problems, especially when I chewed something crunchy, so I went back to my dentist and had another x-ray done and it showed that the root is still infected.

I was back on antibiotics and am currently taking them for another week, but if they don’t clear up the infection, then I’d have to have apicoectomy and another crown. I still need to check how big is my dental insurance limit (last year it was up to $1500 for all procedures), so I’m pretty sure I’ll have to pay much more out of the pocket this time, but does anyone know how much?

despite the fact that prices vary on which tooth apicoectomy is done, here's my story.

I had the first root canal procedure done on my 3rd front tooth with just a filling which ended up costing me $1300 out of pocket. Like yours, my dental insurance plan has a $1500 limit for all procedures per year. So, all I had to pay afterwards was as if I had no insurance at all. I had a repeat of root canal, but my dentist gave me a discount so my insurance would cover it and I ended up paying $500 in total.

But, the tooth was still infected and i really didn't want to have a front tooth extracted so I agreed to have an apicoectomy done by an oral surgeon, and brace yourself - with a crown, x-rays and the procedure itself, I paid almost $2000 ($1850, to be precise).

there is no doubt that you'll pay more for apicoectomy, given the yearly dental insurance plan limit - but first check how big that limit is, and does the insurance company perhaps has a networked dentists that may offer you some additional discount. The second thing that will affect the price is whether it's done by an endodontist or oral surgeon, with endodontist pices being much higher since they specialize specifically in these types of procedures.

The best way to figure out the cost is to talk to the insurance and dentist that will perform the procedure, but it might end up costing you around the price the previous poster mentioned.

Hi, thanks for replying!

I've contacted my insurance company and it turns out I still have about $800 they will cover, but their networked dentist and oral surgeon I had consultation with ($80, with x-rays taken) both suggested that maybe istead of having an apicoectomy I have the tooth extracted if the infection doesn't completely go away. The most recent x-ray shows that the root is still infected, but I haven't finished the full course of antibiotics yet.

If I decide to have apicoectomy done, I'd have to pay $1400 out of pocket for the procedure and the new crown, and my insurance will cover the rest (less than half the cost, but OK).