I had root canal procedure done on my second molar and unfortunately I waited until it got fully infected, so I was in pain and on antibiotics. That was three months ago, but the tooth still hurts, especially when I’m eating. I went back to my dentist and after an x-ray it turned out that the bottom of root canal is still infected.

Now he suggests I do apicoectomy, but after I paid 900 for root canal and 400 for the crown, I’m wondering is it worth spending more money on this tooth. If anybody has done it, how much did apicoectomy cost you?

you should get an opinion from an oral surgeon as well, because there might be a chance to repeat the root canal procedure instead of doing apicoectomy. Apicoectomy is not 100% successful and it can happen that you end up paying for the failed procedure and since the procedure needs to be done on your second molar, chances for apicoectomy to be unsuccessful are a bit higher.

As far as the price is concerned, apicoectomy costs about the same as root canal, so you can expect it to be around 900 GBP.

Hi, I agree with Tom - you should first look into option to redo the root canal procedure and if that's not possible (maybe the dentist could get to the bottom because the canal is twisted). When I had my apicoectomy I had it done by endodontist who first tried root canal procedure, but the canals were already calcified and the only option that remained to save the tooth was apicoectomy. In total, I paid 700 for apicoectomy and another 400 for the second crown. I was lucky and the procedure was successful, bud my endo told me at the start that there is 50/50 chance for success, so take that into account as well.

Hi Tom and marlei, thanks for your replies.

I went back to my dentist and you were both right: he suggested we first try second root canal procedure after he taken an x-ray and gave me a prescription for one more round of antibiotics before the procedure.

However, I don't think I'm going to go for an apicoectomy if the second root canal procedure is not successful, I most likely get the tooth extracted if it's damaged beyond repair since I'm already planning on getting implants and veneers in a few months. If the root canal fails, then the apicoectomy cost would be almost enough to have an implant placed, so... why bother.