I would like to know what is on the tongue. I know that there are different papillae, but I would like to know how where is which. Like when I read something it says for example lingual papillae or circumvallate papillae but I don’t know where they are on the tongue. Are they taste buds or what? I would like to know what is on the tip of the tongue. It is wonder how people know a little about the tongue and we use it for almost everything, to eat, talk…sex. I’ll appreciate any information.

You are right; we are so ignorant when a subject is the tongue. Ok. I don’t know much about it but I’ll tell what I can. The surface of the tongue is covered by a stratified squamous epithelium and the dorsal surface of the tongue is covered by numerous projections, the lingual papillae. Papillae are divided on types according to the shape, so there are: filiform, fungiform, and circumvallate. The circumvallate papillae are those at the tip on the tongue that you were interested of, those which are distributed in the 'V"region of the posterior tongue. The circumvallate papillae are large, circular, flat papillae that contain taste buds mostly in the lateral surface. The filiform are the most numerous of the tongue papillae and can contain touch receptors.