I'm 55 years old and I have a big problem. My mouth on the left side is very swollen and painful to the touch. The entire left side of my mouth is enlarged, the tongue the cheeks, the area underneath the tongue, everything is swollen and it hurts like hell. The most painful spot seems to be behind my lower jaw. I can hardly talk or eat, and the only useful thing I was able to do was writing to you. Please help me I don’t know what to do, a friend of mine told me that this could be a form of cancer, and that thing in the back of my jaw is a lymphatic gland that gets swollen when cancer cells get into it. Could that be true?

Hi, I had similar symptoms last year when a bee bit me in the lower part of my cheek. My entire face together with gums, cheeks and tongue was red and swollen. I went to the hospital and they gave me a serum against allergic reactions to bee bites and the swelling was gone the next day. I’d say it’s nothing serious but my doc said that I could have died from it if I didn’t rush to the hospital. You didn’t say anything about any bees biting you but I think it could be some kind of an allergic reaction, either from something you ate or maybe some insect did bite you but you didn’t notice it. What your friend might be referring to is the parotid gland, which is not a lymphatic node or a gland, rather it is a gland that produces saliva and it excretes it in the mouth. The swelling of the gland could be because of some kind of an infection within the gland or because an infection somewhere in the mouth that is causing the tube of the gland to be blocked. I think you should definitely consult your doctor about this problem. Good luck let us know when you are feeling better.