I would like if someone could tell me more details about circumvallate papillae. Few days ago I saw something on TV about circumvallate papillae and ever since then I am very interested in that. Also, I want to know more about oral cavity in general.

The oral cavity is formed by the lips, cheeks, hard and soft palate, and the floor of the mouth. It contains specialized structures, the teeth and tongue. The tongue consists of striated muscle, glands and connective tissue covered by stratified squamous epithelium. Circumvallate papillae are part of the normal anatomy of the tongue and these structures are flat and innocuous. However, a patient occasionally presents with enlarged papillae. Enlarged circumvallate papillae are considered normal. An uncommon condition of the posterior tongue dorsum can occur. Here, large, mushroom-shaped circumvallate papillae are observed and once properly diagnosed, no treatment is necessary. The circumvallate papillae are large, circular, flat papillae which are distributed in the 'V"region of the posterior tongue. They contain taste buds mostly in the lateral surface and have a large connective tissue core. They are surrounded by a deep moat or trench.

You are right; we are so ignorant when a subject is the tongue. Ok. I don’t know much about it but I’ll tell what I can. The surface of the tongue is covered by a stratified squamous epithelium and the dorsal surface of the tongue is covered by numerous projections, the lingual papillae. Papillae are divided on types according to the shape, so there are: filiform, fungiform, and circumvallate. The circumvallate papillae are those at the tip on the tongue that you were interested of, those which are distributed in the 'V"region of the posterior tongue. The circumvallate papillae are large, circular, flat papillae that contain taste buds mostly in the lateral surface. The filiform are the most numerous of the tongue papillae and can contain touch receptors.

PLEASE READ: someone posted an artical about using probiotics to help with her symptoms. well i have the bumps in the back of my throat an even down the back of my throat an it made me feel i couldn't breathe at times. so i went to walmart an i bought the name brand SUSTENEX daily probiotics an i have used them for two days an i can already tell a difference. i don't get short breathe as i did nor is the bumps as large. i really feel that this symptoms are caused by a digestive problem. i was waking up with really bad breath and alot of mucos build up but the last few mornings i have not had the problem. i have hope that this is going to work an if anyone else does try it and has success please pass it own to everyone so we can beat this problem. thanks to the person who posted her ad an i read it for it has given me hope.