I have noticed that eating certain types of foods (sweet usually) causes an immediate swelling under my jaw on my right side. It is not really painful, but it is uncomfortable to me. Can you give me some possible idea what these symptoms might be? Could I have some kind of infection in the salivary glands or some other problem connected with my taste buds?

Don't blame your taste buds. It's that ornery salivary gland that's to blame because of that swelling. Saliva is produced by four very large glands, the parotid and submandibular glands, one of each on each side. Also that are and two not-so-large glands called the sublingual glands that produces saliva. Beside those very important ones, there are and a few thousand microscopic "minor salivary glands" that are scattered throughout the oral cavity, nasal cavity and throat. The submandibular glands are located beneath your lower jaw. That is the mandible, hence the name "submandibular". Your problem is probably due to poor flow of saliva from the right submandibular gland. Most people with this problem find it to be truly painful, so you are lucky. Your submandibular gland is trying mightily to expel its payload of saliva, but it is fighting against an obstruction. The result is a swollen and tender submandibular gland.

Is there anything that can reduce the swelling or anything that one can do to help expel the saliva? I think I am also a victim of a swollen submandibular gland...please help!!!