i was diagnosed with herpes simplex 1 in about april. since then i have had several tongue pimples, irritations that look like swollen taste buds. currently i am having such sores both on the side and on the tip of my tongue. is this a herpes outbreak? i have heard that generally herpes is less present on the tongue but i have only had irritation on my tongue. thoughts? i have also heard that tongue irritation can sometimes by tied to a lack in b vitamins or iron. could this be relevant? any advice for treatment?
thanks

Yes. This just happened to me as well--what a nightmare. I had shingles in my ear and on my face on and off for 12 months--excruciating ear and facial pain. It came back a year later, but this time had changed to herpes type 1--the cold sore virus in my ear--that was weird. For two years nothing, then this year it returned again with a fury for a month in my ear. I had a sore throat and severe sinus congestion that would not go away. Two months later the sinus infection and sore throat got so bad I was very hoarse and could hardly be heard when I spoke. Then I got this horrible pain in my tongue dead center and on the tip, as if I'd burned it in boiling tea. I saw one little white spec in the center surrounded by what appeared to be slightly redder than usual taste buds. The white spec grew over the next month into a quarter sized patch of white blisters. I had them tested and sure enough it was herpes type 1 again. Turns out I have pharyngeal herpes (pain in throat), nasal herpes (sinus infection) and tongue herpes. Now I've had it for 6 months and I'm trying everything to get healthy. The key when you first get this c**p is to take anti viral fast. The tongue is a tough one to shake. I had a weird reaction the first time I took antivirals and quit taking them--big mistake. Well, perhaps I am immuno-compromised from something bigger and don't know it yet. My immunologist just ordered tons of blood work to see if that's the case. Keep your head up and stay positive. Sometimes it just goes away for people and never returns. :-)

Yes. This just happened to me as well--what a nightmare. I had shingles in my ear and on my face on and off for 12 months--excruciating ear and facial pain. It came back a year later, but this time had changed to herpes type 1--the cold sore virus in my ear--that was weird. For two years nothing, then this year it returned again with a fury for a month in my ear. I had a sore throat and severe sinus congestion that would not go away. Two months later the sinus infection and sore throat got so bad I was very hoarse and could hardly be heard when I spoke. Then I got this horrible pain in my tongue dead center and on the tip, as if I'd burned it in boiling tea. I saw one little white spec in the center surrounded by what appeared to be slightly redder than usual taste buds. The white spec grew over the next month into a quarter sized patch of white blisters. I had them tested and sure enough it was herpes type 1 again. Turns out I have pharyngeal herpes (pain in throat), nasal herpes (sinus infection) and tongue herpes. Now I've had it for 6 months and I'm trying everything to get healthy. The key when you first get this c**p is to take anti viral fast. The tongue is a tough one to shake. I had a weird reaction the first time I took antivirals and quit taking them--big mistake. Well, perhaps I am immuno-compromised from something bigger and don't know it yet. My immunologist just ordered tons of blood work to see if that's the case. Keep your head up and stay positive. Sometimes it just goes away for people and never returns. Anyway, I'd like to talk more to share our symptoms, what works what doesn't work. I'm going to try Vitamen B. The last time my symptoms went away I took high doses through a drip therapy at a homeopath's office. Maybe that's the key. FYI. The doctors have VERY limited knowledge of this condition. ;-)

Did your oral herpes on your tongue occur on the sides? And did they look like cold sores all over? Please get back to me asap