Hi. I have been ill with a bad cold and chest infection for a few weeks, also I had thrush in my mouth, tho this has now cleared up i notice that i have large bumps on the back of my tongue, after searching the internet I think its enlarged circumvallate papillae. What causes this as its most annoying and I would like to get rid of it.
Thanks

Who knows...I just got over bad sinus headaches...and a little drainage. Mine have also gotten enlarged...Yes very annoying. Someone help get rid of my bumps..

Usually gargling warm salt water helps.

is having circumvallate pallillae contagious? is it bad to have also? because i dont know these things and the internet is really not helping me with this answer

well im just goin to joint the goup.. i just noticed there red bumps. at first i thought it was sum hpv desease. it would be so much help if some one knows abut this.

i had a sore throat all weekend then last night i started to feel like i had something stuck in the back of my throat. like a popcorn kernel...I've been coughing alot..

did anyone find out what it was? will it go away? should i worry? they're not really large large but i can see them.. help

everyone has circumvallate papillae so I wouldn't be worried, you can't get rid of them because they're supposed to be there. just google tongue anatomy to see all the different types of taste buds.

Hi I recently notice these bumps on the back of my tough and I went to the DR. and he said that are normal but I still think somethings wrong because I've been getting these really bad headaches lately could that be linked in some kinda way?????? Because I'm scared it might be server..........! So scared please help. Thanks

I had enlarged circumvallate papillae too. It was so irritating as I used to feel slight irritation in my throat all the time and used to keep coughing because of it. I persisted for around 2-3 months. I also tried antibiotics suggested by my doctor but to no avail. Then I started eating 2-3 cloves of raw garlic in my dinner ever day. And my cough went away completely in around 10 days and the circumvallate papillae also became normal to a large extent. I strongly suggest you to try eating raw garlic everyday for this problem.

Hi Guys, I just joined because I've been experiencing the same thing, and more. Over the past few months, I've been quite sick, with one thing after another. First started with a gum abscess which needed a course of antibiotics, amoxicillin. Also kept experiencing a blocked ear, but the doctor kept saying it looked clear?! Then the gum abscess tried to come back, so I was put on another 2 courses of antibiotics, amoxicillin and flagyl. After that, the gum abscess went, but I was left with my first ever dose of oral thrush! I'm 32 with 2 kids, and have never had thrush before. That was treated with Nilstat Oral drops. Thought was all ok. Then a few weeks later, my daughter (who's 10) came down with a bad flu, that we all ended up getting. About a week of suffering through this flu, I felt like I had something stuck in my throat when swallowing and I found a white lump at the back of my throat, on my tonsil. Went to the doctor and he said it was a Tonsil Stone. I had never heard of these before and it freaked me out! After a lot of gagging, and numbing throat spray, the doc finally scraped it out. Don't exactly know where it went though, so I probably swallowed it. When I got home, I noticed a smaller white spot on my tonsil, that looked like a smaller Tonsil Stone. It was in the same spot as the big one. It kept popping in and out. Freaked me out big time and I rang the doc and he told me it was nothing to stress about and to just gargle with aspirin and then swallow it. Thing is, I can't gargle!! I just gag big time! I ended up just taking some Nurofen Plus and went to bed. I looked again the next morning and it was gone anyway. So it otherwise went back into my tonsil or came out on it's own. Anyway, since then, I've still had this sensation that something is in my throat. I feel like I need to eat bread to get whatever it is down! Which I've done, but it hasn't made a difference. Over the last few days, I've noticed now that my tongue has been sore and stingy, and my back taste buds are swollen. Which I think is what is giving me the sensation that something is in my throat. It's actually the swollen taste buds at the very back of my tongue, hitting the very back of my throat and back roof of my mouth. My tongue also has gone all patchy looking too, white with red smooth patches, like the taste buds in those spots have worn down, and after doing some internet research, it looks like what they call a 'Geographic Tongue'. If you google Geographic Tongue, you'll see what I mean. Now, just this morning, my daughter has woken up with the flu back again. I checked her throat and noticed she too has swollen back taste buds at the very back of her tongue and guess what... a small white Tonsil Stone stuck in her left tonsil!! Am just at a loss as to what to do. For about a week, we've been taking Vitamin C & I myself a Mega B Complex Vitamin tablet. ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Figured we needed some good bacteria to replace the bad bacteria. I got the dairy free ones because I read that dairy products are a main cause of tonsil stones!! But after taking them each morning with breakfast, I notice I get a bad stomach ache. My daughter doesn't though. Just can't believe what's been happening! What is going on with us... swollen back taste buds, sore stingy patchy red/white tongue, tonsil stones, sensation of something in throat, ear aches, head aches, feeling lethargic!!! And now my daughter is coming back down with this flu!! Just can't believe all this is happening...  :'(

I have been having the same problems. It feels like a hair is stuck in my throat and the bumps on back of my tongue are huge.  The are rubbing against my throat and tonsils and gagging me I can't sleep for sinus drainage. I finished a course of antibotics, decongestants and allergy pills. I am also using a nebulizer and nasal spray.  I don't usually have allergy or sinus problems, but can't shake this.  I can't gargle it just makes me sick. My doctor is sending me to an ear , nose and throat specialist n the 18th, but what can I d in the meantime. I am miserable.

I wish there was an answer. Shellia, I've have had problems with constant sinus drainage for quite some time. A burning sensation on front the of my tongue just started 2 weeks ago. I thought it was the fish oil that was creating the problem for the sinuses so I shucked it off. Then one day everything I put in my mouth burned, even the Crest toothpaste I have been using for years upon years. Finally went to family doctor and he said it was allergies that caused the drainage.. Took B6 and B12 test. All checked out ok. So I am going to an ENT specialist too on 19th. Hope all turns out well for you and I. Oh I noticed too my taste buds in the back are swollen but not to point of bothering me. Thank goodness! It's enough to deal with the pain on front of my tongue. It's just gross looking at the back of tongue. Don't hardly want to eat anything because any way I move my mouth, the teeth rub against the front of tongue or what I eat stings/irritates the taste buds. By doing a lot of research on google and "you tube' on burning tongue syndrone and alpha lipoic acid I am hoping to try a few things. Some say it could be stress, citrus, chewing on tongue, hormonal, etc.. No doubt I have been under severe stress and have battle depression for years. So I went to macafem.com and order non-estrogenic herbs and went back on my anti-depressants. One web site said that anti-depressants possibly can calm thoses nerves down on the tongue. I will try anything at this point. Want some relief and food to taste normal again. By the way I am 55 and hormonally deficient possibly. Getting a complete physical soon too.

I have high risk hpv and I have the same thing..thats what lead me here..i believe its an oral version of it

What did the doctor tell you? I am having the same problem and getting sick of it/

its called circumvalate papillae