Hello!

I`m a 19 year old female who`s been experiencing a series of symptoms for the past 7 months that doctors have been unable to diagnose.

Firstly, my hair has been falling out and as you can imagine, this has been really emotionally stressful. Since about 7 months ago, I`ve lost more then 75% of hair from all over my head. The hair loss is not patchy, but has been thinning all over. The hair loss is also not just on my head, and I`ve even noticed that the hair on my legs and in my pubic area have barely been growing back after shaving. I did see a dermatologist and he said that I must have an underlying autoiumme disease that's causing the hair loss.

Since around the same time my hair has been falling out, Ive noticed that the lymph nodes in my neck have been swollen. Sometimes they are swollen and sensitive (especially after drinking alcohol or smoking) but usually they're painless. I've also been experiencing a lot of joint/muscle pain and stiffness. Some days it gets really bad and I can barely move, even typing/writing gets difficult. I feel like every muscle in my body is inflamed, and even breathing can be hard because my lungs are sore.

Lastly, (and I'm not sure if this is related at all) my skin has been really dry and especially itchy. I'm not sure if I've noticed any rashes, but I have noticed some redness (light red spots) randomly on my skin.

My family doctor did a thorough blood analysis and everything came back normal. There is no sign of vitamin deficiency, my thyriod was normal, no diabetes, my blood cell count was normal, kidney/liver function was normal, and I'm clean for STD's/STI's. I really don't know where to go from here and im terrified that if I don't find out whats wrong, I'm going to go bald.

Does anyone know what these symptoms indicate? Any advice as to what I should get tested for/where I should go from here would be great.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Ask your doctor to check you for Lupus. Its an autoimmune disorder that is characterized by similar symptoms to what you explained. Also, I don't want to sound bossy, but maybe you should think about quitting the cigarettes and alcohol. You said so yourself that your symptoms get worse when you use them.

jessi1 - thank you for your response.

I rarely drink or smoke cigarettes (less then once every two months) but since I noticed that when I do, my nodes become especially sore (the same thing happens with spicy food), I thought it was worth mentioning. Other then splurging on wine and smoke at the occasional party, I try to be healthy - I eat very well and jog every day when I'm not too sore.

Anyway, I do plan on getting my doctor to check for lupus and whatever else she can think of. I've been struggling with this for a long time I want to gain as much information as I can about whats going on with me (what I could possibly have) to ensure that the doctor's visits are as productive as possible.

I really hope I get this figured out soon!

You're welcome. If it's not lupus and your doctor can't figure it out, don't give up. You can always go to a different doctor until you get the answer you need. I've made that mistake plenty of times. I get frustrated when the doctors I go to don't have the answers and I give up hope. Good Luck and I hope you get better.

my hair has been falling out for at least 7 months. for years, the lab tests came back normal for thyroid. but, after decades of suffering, i finally got a diagnosis of graves/hashimotos autoimmune thyroid disease. took meds for the graves-hyperthyroidism, and began to edge towards the hashi-hypo. this is why my hair if falling out. unfortunately, my doctor will only treat by lab results and not by symptoms. so, i'll end up pretty much bald! it's really hard to find a dr who will treat for the symptoms only. but you should ask your dr to test for antibodies to autoimmune thyroid disease.