im 16 lost hair when i was 10 i been to over 8 doctors that came up with some causes like Stress or anger or hair goes asleep and comes back in a few years its been 6 and im worryed i would like to know if theres any causes for my hair loss everywhere is there a solution to my problem? and what is the cause? and are there other teens like me haveing this problem? please reply :-(

I am not a teenager, but I was one once :) My hair started falling out when I was 10 years old, too.

I am now 30 years old. I still have hair, but not much. I wear wigs all the time. I have been to 16 doctors, and still no diagnosis. There are so many things that can cause hair loss at any time, and I am not a doctor so I could not possibly tell you what's wrong. I don't even know what's wrong with me.

Have you lost all your hair or just some? Is it gone in bald spots or is it a diffuse loss? If it's spotty then it is probably alopecia areata, and there probably isn't much that can be done, unfortunately. It may grow back it may not. You may want to look into alopeciaworld.com. There are a lot of people on there your age with various kinds of hair loss, and it might be good to reach out to someone.

Started out with a bald spot >.< i went to a haircut place and they said thats weird your missing hair and he showed my parents and they freaked out after a while it fall off compleatly i have no hair what so ever on my head i sometimes have 1,2,3,4,up to 10 hair some times all togeather under my arms or my genetal area but none on my head T.T maybe once one or 2 but its mostly smooth bald and they come and go but no actual full grouth of hair :-( if u or someone else finds a reason for it please let me know i'll be very happy to find out why this happened thank you.

That definitely sounds like alopecia universalis. Actually, it sounds so much like it, I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned it to you. Then again, I never even heard the word "alopecia"until I was 18, and like I mentioned, my hair started falling out at age 10, too. It's an autoimmune disorder, which basically means that for some reason, your immune system thinks that your hair is foreign, so it attacks your hair like it would attack a cold. That makes you lose your hair. In very rare cases, it can also make your hair "go to sleep" like you said...that's what happened with me, at least that's what my doctor thinks. It's been 20 years and my hair's not coming back and I've accepted that.

It can be caused by any number of things. It tends to cluster with diseases like Type 1 diabetes, hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus, so if anyone in your family has any of those, that could be why. It can be caused by stress but that's not necessarily the case. In fact, I'd say that's unlikely. Lots of people are stressed, and what you're experiencing happens to less than 2% of the population.

It usually happens to children, but it can happen at any age. You're definitely not alone. 
.

I don't know what kind of doctor you've been seeing, but you should be seeing a dermatologist.

Hi watchtowerkid, did you ever find out what the problem is? I know a kid from school who I was classmates with who had this and it was definitely alopecia. Is that what you're suffering from? Let me know because that's what I suspect the issue is. Thanks!

yeah its alopecia universalis for me >.<thats what everyone says , some say its from too much computer others say its stress others say lack of vitamins and alot say auto immune disorder >.<

Right but you were diagnosed by your doctor with it? I just want to make sure that you found out. And do take heart--it is true that hair grows back in a lot of cases, okay?

thank you ^.^ it does grow back but only up to 10 hairs in various spots and goes away again >.< 6th year so far , and yeah the doctor gave the diagnoses

I'm sorry to hear that. Well, if it is any consolation, at least you don't have to worry for the rest of your youth about losing your hair! Most young men obsess about it until they really do go bald... Do you wear a hairpiece or anything?

nope ^.^ i just wear a cap most of the time , i dont have eye brows or eye lashes too , white lines very small ones that are hard to see on my finger nails which are also connected to my hair some how said by one doctor...but i usually wear a cap or just plain bald , the hair piece tends to itch =P and make me sweat more , i dont have to worry about the barber or any head careing needs and dont smell too =) all i have to do is wash my scalp with shampoo and wash it off very easyly

Well see that's a very positive spin on it. Like I said, my friend from childhood was pretty upset about it when it happened because he was the only bald kid, but you know, now that we're almost ten years out, all my other classmates have started to lose their hair and htey're all devastated because they're not even 30 yet and already hairless. He already is doing fine. I think you've got a really good attitude about it!

thanks =), i still dont have any treatment options >.< but i guess i could deal with it its not sucha big part of my life ^.^

Well, like I said, it seems disappointing but it's not such a big deal. Everyone has their burdens to bear and you're lucky that you know exactly what yours is. And like I said as well, you've got a good attitude. I wish you all the best! :)

thank you very much ^.^

thank you very much ^.^ i wish you the same