Hi there,
My Mom had her thyroid removed 2/05, it has been a battle all year health wise for her. My question is this, she has had severe hair loss. We know some is from radiation from angiograms throughout the year. Her appetite is not good anymore from other health issues also. Every appointment she's had since the thyroidectomy shows her levels still aren't "normal". Could this be and effect with everything combined for the severe hair loss? If levels aren't correct would that be one cause amongest the others which come along with hair loss.

Hair loss is often the worst problem thyroid patients experience! More usually, people lose eyebrow hairs and hairs on other body parts as well.
Your mother should find a dermatologist who is experienced in hair loss and get examined to see if any other disorder is contributing to excessive hair loss.
Many drugs (like Synthroid) for regulating thyroid cause hair loss as well.
Improper TSH level could be another cause. This means that a person is undertreated.
If everything is checked and in order then the patient should, lets say, relax and wait. Eventually, hair loss should slow down and stop when the levels of the hormones are stabilized.
There aren’t reports of getting bald do to thyroid disease.

I had a thyroidectomy 18 years ago, a month after the sugery, my hair fell out in handfulls!! None of my physicians took me seriously when I became distressed over it. It took about a year and a half for my hair to grow back in. Today, my hair is as thick as it's always been...Oh, I also had hair loss EVERYWHERE at the time, freaked me out!!!

I am 33 years old female and I had a full thyroidectomy eleven months ago. It took me sixs months to get my THS back to the normal range (I am taking Thyroxine replacement 175 mcg a day). I had been losing lots of hair till I got my THS fixed, but since nothing got any better. I have very thin hair, especially in the front of my head, so thin that my scalp can be seen. The scalp has become 'shiny' and feels thin and unhealthy. I am so distressed. my hair is not growing again. I also have pulggy eye problem, which has not improved but very very little. All this is driving me crazy, and causing depression. Can this last forevever as i don't see signs of improvement?

I live in Australia, where much of what has been said in this thread has been blocked out by the government watch dog here. Drug companies here want more and more people dependent on their drugs, so, as a result, any topic discussing alternative means for treating things like Graves Disease (severely over-active thyroid disorder) is either deleted from public viewing, or severely edited (a very recent development with the Federal Government here putting up a filter on the internet at large).

In Australia, copper supplements are illegal - soil, crops and the meat industry are devoid of copper - hence, an increasing number of people here are developing related illnesses such as Graves Disease and heart disorders. Naturally, that means the medical profession pushes people like me to undergo a full thyroidectomy because "it's (thyroid) much more convenient".

Since when did health become a matter of mere 'convenience'?

Having a total thyroidectomy only ensures the 'drug lords' remain in the lifestyle to which they've become accustomed, because I would then have to remain on a synthetic thyroid drug every single day for the rest of my life, just to remain alive. I'm unwilling to entrust the rest of my life to drug lords. However, having said that, I in no way condemn those who have had it done....for many, the illness is so life-threatening, they genuinely have no other choice...but I do firmly believe there is a better, more natural and healthier alternative available...if I could just find it!

I've had Graves Disease for 5 years now (diagnosed when I was 47) and I'm not sure which has caused more stress - the disease, or the medical profession pushing, bullying and threatening me (with fearful tales of death) into having a thyroidectomy. Everyone dies eventually and I'm refusing to let myself be bullied into doing something that's not only irreversible, but woefully horrendous in consequences.

For those of us who are well enough to take a stand, I would urge everyone to do so. I contacted the TGA here (Therapeutic Goods Authority...similar to the FDA in the U.S.) and demanded they stop hiding behind their 'authority', show themselves face to face and explain to me why, when they know what copper deficiency does to people, they make sure it's illegal for anyone to obtain supplementation in Australia.

I included in my email a photo of myself together with my full name and contact details; naturally, I was ignored. More people need to stand together and make a stink, exposing industries like these. Drug companies and their 'puppet decision makers' do NOT hold your health as being of any concern to them, in fact, they don't give a damn about you and your family! If they did, they wouldn't be developing newer and more deadly strains of flu viruses every year (ever notice how quickly 'vaccines' - in very limited numbers, of course - just happen to appear right after a new virus hits the globe?).

Personally, I feel that those of us who can stand, should stand - united, strong and loud - to expose these creeps for what they are, for the benefit of ALL people the world over. Yeah, yeah, I know what I sound like.....can't help that....if only a single person reads these words and wakes up to what's going on, then it's worth looking like a nutter to the rest of you :-)

I would understand that your desperate situation in respects to your health would motivate you to write so strongly. I don't feel you are perceived nutty but I understand you. During a time when the medical profession made it clear that my life can be at risk without particular medication and knowing this but obstructed by economic resources, situations that just happen in life and the regulations by FDA and other I was was unable to get the medicine legallly that my life literally depended on by the medical profession. I did not have insurance, I did not have liquidity (cash assets on hand at the time) I did not have a perscription (the only method to legally buy your medicine) I didn't have the time to save money to pay for a visit for a doctor to then have the doctor send me blood work exams and then return on another visit to then prescribe me what I know I needed, hormonre replacement drug. All that effort would have taken weeks or months depending on the doctor and the financial situation etc. Knowing the laws aren't so unfair in other countries I travelled abroad where it is legal to walk up and get all the attention you need without the fuss. However, to travel abroad took me about one month to be able to coordinate all efforts and get the money by that time I was off my medication. When I was in that country I determined that being off of it so long and alive that I didn't see anything adverse about it that made me decide to not take another pill of it again. I've been off of it for about 3years now and I am alive and functioning but also very much advised by those in the medical profession that I do meet as a friend that it could have long term effects but I replied to them, it is my body and my life and I have to live with the consequences of it. If I take their advice I would always stress over getting the money, the medical attention, and to face another situation, another desperate situation again where I literally thought i would die without a pill isn't what I want for quality of life. All that said, I do admit I prayed a lot to God and God revealed to me a resource that helped me, a man whom once lived and I hope one day will be called a saint, his name is Dr. Jose Gregorio Hernandez and he is credited for many miracles around the world and he is especially famous in Venezuela.

Now imagine the ethics or moral issue I faced, either I break the law and buy the medicine illegally off the black market or be put in the situation to rob a pharmacy because they can't legally sell it to me by law eventhough I could literally die in their place of business or I find another solution. I question how God Almighty views these desperate situations that people are often placed in. I didn't want to die but I didn't want to break the law and I could have died because I decided not to break the law but thankfully God was with me.

Sounds like you are being overtreated! I had a total thyroidectomy 12 years ago. I was taking 150 mcg per day until last year when my Endo said I was being overtreated, and he cut it back to 137 mcg. Bulgy eyes is a symptom of HYPERthyroidism. Better go see the doc again!

My hair loss is significant. I had my thyroidectomy in 2005 and have been on generic for synthroid. I had since talked to my doctors into giving me the T3 Liothyronine along with the T4 Levothyroxin. I still have very noticeable hair loss, as to where you can see my scalp! PLEASE HELP!

There are all sorts of products on the market today that can aid in hair health.  I recommend products like Nioxin and Reloxe for healthy hair. 

What did you do to start the hair growth again? I had my thyroidectomy 8 years ago and It's still coming out! I'm so depressed and in turmoil over it. I've been taking Biotin supplement with no luck! Please HELP!

I am in the same boat. Thyroid removed almost 7 years ago. Horrible side effects since. Had several docs, all say nothing to help. Hair loss was slow but in last year been dramatic. Can see my scalp- also looks like a receding hair line. If I walk past someone i "shed". If I brush my teeth the counter is covered in hair. If I wash my hair the tub has handfuls of hair and is causing drin to plug.
I've been tested for everything under the sun- they don't see any other causes. I do not think the hair products help. We are losing our hair to chemical reasons, not natural. I've had facial swelling, dizzy speels, anxiety, weight gain, insomnia, etc. I'm angry. Something is not right. Thankful I no longer have the C word, but think there is more science can do to prevent the pain we live in daily now.

Did you take any vitamins or do anything different to aid your hair in thickening back out? also are you on levo or natural thyroid? thanks.

I HEARD YOU LOUD AND CLEAR.'WISH YOU COULD COME AND LIVE HERE. IF YOU DO...YOU CAN COME AND STAY HERE

Thank you for your post! I had my thyroid removed at the end of June and noticed my hair has thinned a great deal on the back of my head and around my temples! I'm praying it grows back.

I was told I had thyroid cancer they did three surgeries took my thyroid out damaged my parathyroid now my medication for the rest of my life calcium the rest of my life and I run the rest of my life I'm losing eyebrow hairs and the top of my head is losing so much here it's see-through and I could see my scalp – – I agree with you People need to get a second and a third opinion before getting the thyroid taken out my doctors didn't even check my pictures they just looked at numbers and now they ruined my life