Things have been a little slow in my department lately (like that past year) and I'm wondering if it wouldn't help my job security a little if I stepped up and offered to take on some additional responsibilities.

Anyone ever tried this tactic before?

Not a bad idea. Bosses like that kind of initiative too.

I do it all the time, and my boss really appreciates it. Now she just gives me stuff to do, before I even ask.

PH,
Just be careful. My wife is like you...one of those "ambitious" types with an uncontrollable work ethic. Now she has found herself in a thankless job with a boss that takes advantage of her "can do" attitude. It's fine if you are able to create job security but in my experience, "effort" is rarely rewarded in the workplace nowadays. I know that seems rather cynical but.........

Then again every employer is different. I happen to work for a guy that rewards hard work generously.

I do too, and I'd hate to lose my job because there's really not much to do lately.
Example :: I do design proposals. Normally, I do about 30 a month. So on an average month, I'd be on my 18th today. This month, I've only had 3 requested proposals this month. 8O

Ouch! Sounds like y'all are pretty slow. My income is dictated by the oil & gas industry. So we are pretty slow as well.
I would go to your boss and let him know you are looking for more to do. Even if he has nothing for you, he may see it as you being a "team playa".

Is it only your position in which biz is slow?

On a side note, one of the criteria used here when there was downsizing was the gamut of knowledge/expertise. The larger the range, the more valuable the person, the less likely to be laid off.

Another aside: Do you have enough to do currently to stave off boredom?

8O 8O
he probably knows you're slow and he might be wondering why you aren't asking for more work.....
or
could he possibly be oblivious to your workload??(or lack of) if so, if you point it out will it give him something to think about...."hmmmm, maybe we should lay someone off?.........
:shrug: i'm a big help :shrug: