Not with life in general, because that answer SHOULD be "always" ( ). I'm refering to job interviews - when they ask you why you left your previous position, do you ever actually come clean about your problems with said job?

Protocol says generally no, because you don't want to make yourself look like a complainer, rabble rouser, troublemaker, etc.....so what I normally say if I left a job because it sucked ASS is that there was no further room for advancement there, assuming there is at the company you're going to and that I am looking for a position with more growth potential, challenge, utilization of my full range of skills, yada yada yada. Something brown nosy like that.

Sigh. Yeah, I know you're right. And I'll probably do just that when given the opportunity. But dammit, there's just not enough honesty in the world.

Truer words were NEVER spoken, girlfriend.

I did.

That is just me

I have done both. I haven't been hired lately though, so I don't know what works. Like you said, being honest makes you look like a whiner who doesn't handle problems well. "The job was annoying and I didn't like it." makes you sound intolerant.

Yeah, and you probably don't want to tell a potential new boss that your old boss was a real dickhead either

I actually have eliminated one job that was 8 months of pure hell in my life from my resume.

always. Nature of the job. They have ways of finding out

Oh no...not the collander and the copier again..... :(

I haven't had an interview in years ('94?). I had 3 jobs from the time I was 19 to 25, and I can tell the truth on why I left all of those. Youth, laid off, and pregnancy.

I think I have a definite advantage in some respects because of the children (and the fact that I'm done having kids, so no maternity leave ever!), and a disadvantage because I've been out of the workforce for so long. I am worried about getting a job when I graduate, even though my major has a 100% employment rate within 6 months of graduating.

Tell the truth so long as it doesn't make you look bad.

and good luck, when the time comes.

Hey, what a coincidence! I recently eliminated one job that was 8 years of pure hell from my life! :wiggle:

8 months is a little hard to explain than 8 years 8O

That's why I left it on my resume but booted it out of my life ;)

And if you can do it without making your last job/boss look bad either, then you're doing good.
Perhaps say something like, "The job was in a great location, but I was just ready for a change in my life, needing new growth and experiences and that's why I am here. I have heard that your company offers excellent opportunities for growth and job advancement."
"My last job was a great starting point and I learned a lot, but I felt it was time to..."
you get my drift.