Hello there,

This is getting too hard. I mean, it is starting to be dangerous for my life and for people around me, and I can't allow this to continue. I am suffering from depression, it is so obvious even to the people around me, but at least I had no trouble working. Now I don't even want to go to work, and my boss is mad at me most of the time because I became a really slow worker, because I cannot focus on my work, it takes me ages to finish a simple task. Does anyone know how can I cope with this?

Simply getting to work when you’re depressed can feel like an impossible task. Dealing with people in the workplace and doing the most basic parts of the job seem to take more energy than you have. The routine becomes hard labor, and the stress and depression feed off each other.

Some people have found ways of keeping a balance. Others have not. Some have had to change the type of work they do. Others have withdrawn from regular jobs altogether. In every case, they have had to face the reality that depression becomes the central problem of work as well as personal lives and relationships. Way to cope with this depends from person to person.

It's really hard to work when you cannot focus on your work, I know how hard that can be, I had trouble with it when I had to switch my job.

I wasn't really depressed, it was just anxiety because I switched jobs, but it gets even harder when you have depression. I don't know the best solution for you, you have to fight your depression before doing anything else. Try seeing a psychologist or something, try exercising, become a member of a club, interact with people, I don't know. These are just some of the suggestions that I think could help.

I don't want to see a psychologist. I don't know why, I just don't want to talk to these people. My boss told me that I should talk to one as well, and I think that he is mad at me for not doing it even though I know that I have a problem.

I'm also not for interacting with people. I might try exercising, I want to do that for quite a long period of time now, but I'm not really in good shape so it is going to be hard. But I can make that the first step towards treating my depression, right?

It is extremely hard to work when you can't focus on working. And depression is your biggest enemy in this situation. But you need to be prepared that maybe your boss won't be able to understand that you are going through some crisis. I was in huge depression a couple of years ago when I literally needed to force myself to go to the work everyday and I hated it. I was dealing with anxiety, I was crying, had panic attacks and I was not able to deal with it alone. So I went to see my doctor who helped me a lot.

Look, I really don't understand why people have problems with talking to someone who is an expert in this area? It is not shame and sure that this person can help you. I think that your boss has a point and also you are very lucky because you have boss like that, who can understand you. You don't even have an idea how many people I do know who are depressed, they can't work and their boss just doesn't understand it. Yes, you can try to exercise or to do some things like yoga, but you need to do it for longer period to see some results.

Look, you alone said that you have a really good boss and you should use that. I don't mean that you need to be bitchy to him, but you should listen to his advice and seek for help. Another thing that you said yourself that you are not in the mood, so that really means that you need to look for a help of someone who is an expert. You are really in deep stadium of depression and I am sure that you can't fight against it alone. I think that exercises, meditation and yoga will help you deal with it. 

Hello. I was really depressed for a long time. I had an amazing job, but I just was not able to focus on it. It was extremely hard to do job and to pretend that I am fine, while I was dying inside. So I was talking to my friend about this and she told me that I am really depressed. She was the only person that I didn't "hate" in moments like those. She told me that doctors should be my first choice, but that I can also try to do yoga. So I listened to her about yoga and I did it. And you know what? I was feeling extremely good. I am sure that I was in deep depression and yoga helped me. So I am sure that it can help you as well.

Been there, seen that. I know that always, when I could not make myself to do my work and my job, I had failed in some things that I needed to do, of course. And that was really devastating for me. I needed to find a way to force myself to go to the work even though I was feeling really bad and tired, but I was telling myself that I need to do it, that I need to force myself to go to the work. Dealing with it is really difficult. I was crying every time when I needed to go to work.