My 14 year old son has been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and I am hoping that there are other moms who could support me. He is most likely going to receive Metformin for the treatment of his illness, but we are not sure yet. I would appreciate anything more you could tell me about Metformin and how it has worked for you.

Hi! I'm not a mom yet :-) but I'll be glad if these information help you. Metformin is a common form of diabetes treatment. Created by Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, Metformin is approved in the US (since 1994) and the UK as a treatment for type 2 diabetes. Metformin has been proven in clinical trials to lower glucose levels amongst children between 10-16 years of age suffering from type 2 diabetes. Research is less conclusive about children under 10 and children taking Metformin alongside other treatments, but your diabetes health care team should be able to elaborate on this. Metformin should be used in combination with a diet and exercise program for the best results. Diabetics taking Metformin should avoid drinking a lot of alcohol, both regularly and in short episodes. Alcohol consumption can up the risk of lactic acidosis. Diabetics taking Metformin should contact their doctor immediately in the event of dehydration that can be caused by an illness involving vomiting or diarrhea.