I have watched a brilliant programme about loosing weight by intermittent fasting, called the 5/2 diet. basically you eat for 5 days and then fast for 2 days. can i do this if I am on metformin for diabetes type 2. Would I still take the tablets on the fast days? has anybody else tried this diet before?

fasting is definetely not recommended if you have diabetes, there are better ways for you to lose weight if you need to, such as increasing your day to day exercise and eating healthily and watching portion size. Metformin should only be taken with or after food so you should not take it on an empty stomach. Fasting can lead to adverse affects such as hypoglycaemia. metformin works to keep your blood sugar steady by increasing glucose uptake into large muscles, independent of how much glucose you eat in your diet, therefore it could make you very ill if you take your metformin without eating. The type of diet that you are talking about would not be safe for you, and there is a lot of research to show that steady weight loss over a long period of time is more likely to stay off. I applaud your wish to lose weight, this is definetely a good thing to do and may prevent your diabetes getting worse, but I strongly advise you look at an alternative way of doing this.

Beccabee314732: I realize this posting is over a year old, but it contains errors. I hope that readers will please do their own research and find out what doctors who are familiar with metabolic disorder, intermittent fasting, ketogenic diets, insulin resistance, and the latest research have to say about these questions.