I am a 18 year old and I have been a type 1 diabetic all my life, pretty much.  I have been on insulin as long as I can remember and I was wondering about getting off of it and taking metformin.  Or maybe not take as much insulin and take metformin to replace the insulin I don't take.  It would be great to not have to take insulin as it cuts into my activities and my life.  I hate to inject myself before every meal and it gets to be a pain.  I would think that after all of the technological advances we have that type 1s can't have the option of taking a pill.  What gives?  What's the difference between taking insulin and taking a pill other than that a shot is painful? 

If you are a type 1 diabetic on insulin, you will not be a good candidate for metformin or any other medication by mouth.  Antiglycemic medications that type 2 diabetics commonly use is much different than insulin.  Meds like Metformin work by stimulating the beta cells in the pancreas to secrete more insulin.  In type 1 diabetics, the pancreas is unable to secrete any insulin at all.  This happens eventually to many type 2s toward the end of their disease when their pancreas gives out and cannot produce any more insulin as well.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news with this.  I know there is an option of insulin pumps for type 1 diabetics.  Have you explored this avenue?

That is good information because I always wondered why some diabetics take pills while others had to take an insulin. I always thought the pills were insuln too. So you learn something everyday right and that is why I like this website. I am sorry you have to give yourself shots.

Insulin shots are must for Type 1 Diabetes. Inhalation Insulin Research is going on which may help to get rid of injection shots.