Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few weeks ago. I wasn't shocked because I knew it was coming. Of course, I know it's progressive and I want to take as much control as I can, of my blood sugar, my weight, and honestly, my alcohol consumption as well (beer). Then, I'm also looking into medication options which I will

When it comes to weight loss, I'm wondering if Trulicity is better than the other new diabetes drugs. I want to know everything I need to before I talk to my doctor about this again (next week). Could you help?

Two kinds of newer diabetes drugs also cause weight loss in some people, and those are GLP-1 agonists and SGLT-2 inhibitors. 

Trulicity tends to cause a weight loss of between two and six pounds. Other drugs in this category are Victoza and Byetta. People on a high dose of Victoza may lose as much as 14 pounds just from the drug alone, and on a lower dosage that figure is about 11 pounds, still very decent. With Byetta, it's like with Trulicity, about six pounds. 

Purely in terms of Trulicity and weight loss, you can easily see that it's not the best choice on the market at the moment. 

Well, we're in the same boat! I'm also newly diagnosed and not on any meds yet, but in my case, my doctor said Metformin will be the first thing to try. 

I've heard that Metformin causes you to feel full quicker, so you will eat smaller meals than before and that is enough to result in some weight loss. I also plan to go low carb and increase my exercise. When you take all that into account, it seems weight loss is inevitable. I know Metformin isn't a "newer" diabetes drug but it's trusty and I hope I will get on well with it. 

I was on Trulicity .75 for all of 3 weeks. Trulicity actually made me really hungry, which I know is not what they tell you to expect when you start it, but worst of all it gave me chronic diarrhea and I just couldn't do it anymore. After that, I was switched to Metformin 500 mg. I'm still really hungry and the diarrhea still isn't much better. What's new is that I'm also very fatigued a lot of the time. Yeah, I've lost weight, but my blood sugar hasn't come down much unfortunately. 

Diabetes can be a really confusing thing. 

Trulicity does help some diabetics lose weight, but not all, and the same is true for some other diabetes drugs. Weight loss is important important for reasons besides general health and self-confidence — for obese diabetics, even a drop of between three and seven percent in total body weight can greatly improve blood sugar levels.

This is why people who do have type 2 diabetes and obesity might additionally like to inquire about medications specifically designed for weight loss, such as Qsymia, Belviq, and Contrave. These medications can help you get started with weight loss in a way that many diabetics simply are not able to do on their own.

I think it is so important to think of weight loss with diabetes holistically, taking into consideration so many factors besides any medication you may be taking that is supposed to help you in the weight loss department. 

Those factors include making sure you eat a (protein rich) breakfast consistently, making sure not only that you don't exceed the recommended amount of calories but also that those calories are quality calories, making sure you get enough fiber, and making sure your individual meals are not too big. Exercise is necessary for your metabolism to function as well. 

In other words, instead of asking what medication will best help you with weight loss, just consider what is best for weight loss overall. 

Yeah, I do agree there, whilst also appreciating that weight loss with diabetes isn't the same game as just general weight loss. Certain diabetes medications help you achieve more weight loss than you can do by yourself, and where that's an issue, those should certainly be made use of! But at the same time... no diabetes medication is going to solve all your weight issues for you, so though it should be a consideration, it should not be the only one or even the most important one, you know? That's what dietitians and the like are there for!

As far as I'm aware, Byetta and Victoza are the most effective diabetes drugs that also encourage weight loss by curbing the appetite. I do think that if you're hoping for your diabetes meds to also encourage weight loss, you should mention this to your doctor specifically. Your doctor will agree if you are overweight since losing weight will also help you with managing your diabetes. The same things will not work the same way for every single person, however, so it's good to go in with an open mind and trust your doctor. You can then monitor side effects and results and report back to your doctor. 

Good luck!