I am a woman in her late 20s who is pregnant and I also have another problem.  I have type 2 diabetes.  I know that I will be taking a glucose tolerance test in the next couple of months.  I take Metformin right now for my diabetes.  So if I do the glucose tolerance test. will this mess up my results on the glucose tolerance test?  I am not sure if I should quit taking it at that point or just take it anyway.  I have no idea what to do about it.  I hate to go off the metformin because it will make my sugars go up again.  I could use soem sound advice about this from someone.  I want to be prepared by the time it comes to taking the glucose tolerance test.  Thanks!

I believe that you should stay on the metformin.  FIrst of all, it is important that you NOT go off your medication because you will have elevated glucose in your blood and harm your baby and yourself.  Second, your doctor will want to know how your blood sugar and A1c is when you have the glucose tolerance test.  That way your physician will know if there will be a need for a medicine dosage change.  Once your doctor knows how your fasting blood sugar is doing while pregnant and on the metformin dosage you are taking.  This will also indicate if there will be a need for insulin.  So be sure to keep doing what you are doing as far as diet and keep taking your metformin doses until the doctor tells you differently.  If your blood sugars start to go up or down where you are experiencing hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia, let your physician know as soon as possible.

Glucose Tolerance Test is done to diagnosed Diabetes.
If you are already Diabetic, i see no sense in undergoing this test.