Hello everyone out there, I'm getting the impression that long-term use of metformin can cause kidney failure. Is it true? What I'm hearing is that people with type 2 diabetes are better to inject insulin than take metformin because of metformins ability to cause kidney damage. I happen to be a type 2 on metformin and I'm concerned about its side effects. Kidney damage is serious business so I'm curious about this. Does anyone have any info on this they'd care to share. Gee, I really hope this isn't true is is a rare situation. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I really can't see that it is better to inject insulin than take metformin unless metformin isn't working. There are a number of other medications available beside metformin and insulin. Always remember that your first line of defense is diet and exercise.

Some people have been known to develop lactic acidosis while on metformin but this is more likely to occur if you have liver or kidney dysfunction, congestive heart failure, acquire an infections or drink a lot of alcohol. Lactic acidosis can also occur if you are dehydrated all the time. I believe that some type 2s have developed kidney failure due to an infection they got from their insulin shot. So, you have to make sure you don't give yourself an infection from your shots. That can't happen with metformin since it is an oral tab. Metformin is also known to be contraindicated for patients who have kidney dysfunction to begin with. As far as I know, you shouldn't have any fear of take metformin and developing kidney failure. Again, this generally occurs when the person had a bad kidney to begin with. If you're really concerned, talk with your diabetes manager and see what they have to say about it.