hello, I have type 1 diabetes and take insulin for this. I have had diabetes for a long time and I am very use to my injection regime. My doctor has now said that I need to take metformin alongside, but I thought metformin was for type 2 diabetes. Has my doctor lost the plot, i dont know why i need to take this extra medication.

There have been studies on metformin and its benefit to patients with type 1 diabetes.  It has been found that patients that have used metformin off-label in addition to insulin therapy lost weight and had improved insulin sensitivity.  This meant that their need for insulin was reduced and their body mass index (BMI) had decreased with the weight loss.  It seems that metformin could be a positive addition to a type 1 diabetics medication regime.  If you are an overweight adult with type 1 diabetes, this will prove effective in improving your quality of life according to research, with the weight loss and improve insulin sensitivity.

Metformin is commonly used and is very effective for the control of diabetes 2, but it is also used as a adjuvant (alongside) insulin and can help improve post meal spikes. Metformin can improve insulin sensitivity which is very important when people have become insulin resistant. A common reason that people on insulin also get put onto metformin is due to weight gain. Metformin is very effective at helping people to lose weight, and once you are back within your ideal weight range it is common for doctors to then stop the metformin. the metformin allows the body to make better use of a lower amount of insulin which can improve glycaemic control and therefore quality of life.