Hi, I am a diabetic and up to this point I have been able to control my blood sugars pretty good.  I was shocked when I went to the doctor yesterday and found out that since my fasting blood sugars were not where the doctor wanted to be, he prescribed Metformin.  I heard that this pill is to help lower blood sugar levels.  Is Metformin prescribed for impaired fasting glucose?  I have always had more trouble with my fastingn blood sugar more than anything so now here I am, having to deal with taking medication.  I am a bit disgusted by the whole thing.  I always prided myself for keeping my blood sugar under control by myself.  This medication prescription has really disappointed me.  I wonder if I can get my fasting blood sugar under control somehow whithout this medication, if I can drop the Metformin all together. 

I am sorry that you have to start taking medication for your diabetes.  Many diabetics end up going on medication at some point in their lives.  The pancreas reaches a point where it cannot put out any more insulin on its own or becomes very ineffective in doing so.  This is when medication becomes very important for a diabetic.  Pills like Metformin help encourage the pancreas to produce more of its own insulin.  You will notice you will have improved blood sugars overall, not just your fasting blood sugar.  There is a possibility that you can improve your fasting bg by losing weight, being compliant with your diabetic meal planning, and doing 30 minutes of exercise a day.  You should do this while taking your med.  When you feel your sugars are getting a bit too low, you can see if the doctor can take you off the Metformin and see how it goes. 

Hi there! impaired fasting blood glucose and diabetes are two different things. Impaired fasting blood glucose is consider a kind of pre-diabetes state where your fasting BG are high but not high enough to be considered diabetes. the recommended treatment of impaired fasting blood glucose is life style changes. officially metformin is not recommended but there are a lot of doctors who prescribed is they think the patient has additional risks. As you have mentioned you have diabetes, so your treatment with metformin is right following the guidelines.