I would like to know more about metformin and gliclazide.  Are the two much different?If so, how?  I was on metformin for a long time for my type 2 diabetes and now my doctor wants me to be on gliclazide.  I don't know what the deal is, but I thoguht someone would that reads this.  I was doing ok on the metformin, so I thought.  my a1c  was 8.1 last I checked it so maybe this is why?  Any info would be greatly appreciated! 

Metformin is a medication that is most commonly prescribed to diabetics who do not have their blood sugars under control with  dietary changes or exercise.  Metformin belongs to a group of drugs called biguanide medications and they work in different ways to address hyperglycemia.  The first is that it reduces the amount of sugar that is made by the liver.  It also limits the amount of sugar that is absorbed into the body from the food consumed.  Lastly, it makes the insulin receptors more sensitive so that the body is responding better to the insulin it produces.  All of these mechanisms work to lower the blood glucose in the bloodstream.  Metformin is popular because it doesn’t increase the amount of insulin in the body so it doesn’t have the risk of bringing blood sugars down too low (hypoglycemia) like Gliclazide would.

Gliclazide works by stimulating the beta cells in the pancreas and raising the levels of insulin produced in the body.  Gliclazide belongs to a group of drugs called the sulfonylureas, and they wok to increase post meal insulin production for any hyperglycemic reactions that happen after consuming a meal.  So as you can see, both drugs have different actions and may even be given together for diabetic management.  You may find that you will benefit more so with gliclazide but watch for hypos when you are taking it.