My blood sugar is 128 my Dr said I have Diabetes 2 I am 6'1 and weigh 142 l/bs he put me on metformin plus checking my bloodsugar 4 times a week. The metformin cramps my stomach plus gives me diarrhea is it possible for me to reverse my diabetes 2 with weight loss and exercise or not, I have been on metformin for less than a week and my blood sugar levels are 106 in the am and 2 hrs after eating 105 this is new to me and it has been a wake up call plus a scary eye opener especially cause my father had diabetes 1 who passed away when he was 80. I am a 56 year old african American with concerns about the side effect of this medication metformin 1000 mg.

Health Advisor

Hello, Popops.

Exercising, losing weight + metformin is the best treatment any doctor can prescribe for Diabetes type 2. But, keep in mind that medicament will only work if you change your lifestyle. That means, if you don't stick to your diet or you're not keen to start running/walking, metformin will not be sufficient. 

Experts are saying that you must exercise for at least 150 minutes per week and lose 5-15% of your body mass. 

There are some stories about reversing Diabetes type 2 through this treatment, but I'm not sure how much they are reliable. But, one thing is for sure - if you apply this treatment with enough patience and will, you'll be healthier and happier overall. 

Cheers!

Thanks for your quick reply I called my dr today because the medicine was giving me cramps he tod me he would give me something else is metformin the best drug for diabetics 2

Health Advisor

Hello again, Popops.

Basically, metformin is the best drug for diabetes type 2, but that's not necessity. There are many factors that determine an effect of some drug on your system. That means if some medication work for you it won't work for someone other and vice versa. Because of that, your doctor can prescribe you the best anti-diabetic medication based on your reaction on them.

As you already know, there are many other drugs for diabetes 2. I think that you will easily work out what's the best for you, alongside your doctor, of course.

Good luck.