I am 19 and thinking about going on pill. I would like to know more information about birth control pill. Is it true that the pill can help regulate period? My periods are pretty irregular so I was wondering if the pill could help me. Thanks

Before going on the pill I advise you to visit your doctor. Birth control pill contains hormones similar to estrogen and progesterone which are naturally produced by your ovaries. When you take the pill, these artificial hormones trick your body that it is already pregnant. Nothing happens at mid-cycle, when you would normally ovulate. Pregnancy can not occur because no egg is released from the ovaries. When you take the pill, the glands that normally run your menstrual cycle are temporarily shut down. They do not function in the same way as they would naturally. When it comes to regulating your period with a pill, I don't believe that the Pill can actually help fix irregular cycles. It can only appear to be regulating by overriding your natural hormonal system and providing you with regular bleeds. Usually when a woman stops taking the pill her periods is still irregular if not worse. If you are looking for something to help you regulate your periods, you can look for natural alternatives like herbs, homeopathic etc.