I've been having reoccuring episodes of discharge that's brown in color with a thick mucus like consistency. It stains my panties and occurs seemingly sporatically so I can't figure what causes it. I've discovered I'm allergic to latex so I use latex free condoms. Symptoms went away for quite some time, but now they're back. I've visited the doc with a clean bill of health, but this isn't normal for me. I've had these symptoms off and on now for about 2 years. How can I find the root of the problem? Could poor nutrition be a factor? Lack of exercise? Stress? Should I see a specialist?

I don’t think that poor nutrition and lack of exercise are the reason for your discharge. Are you maybe using birth control pills or morning after pills from time to time? They are known to cause some brown spotting. How old are you, by the way?

What kind of doctor did you see, a gynecologist or? If you haven’t seen a gynecologist, then you definitely should. Good luck!

Someone please help me! I think i may be pregnant! I don't see how it is possible but, im scared..im only 16 years old! For about 5 days now i have been spotting brownish discharge! Im afraid im pregnant however, im on the borth control bill and i take it the same time every day and i havent missed a pill yet! Im suppose to get my period this weekend..im afraid i wont:(..someone help me!

Community Administrator
Hello! I think you will find this post useful!

https://www.steadyhealth.com/constant_spotting_t53161.html

Best Regards

Billy

I had the same problem but my doctor told me the birth control im on is a high dose, therefore, periods can actually be just brown spotting for a day, OR LESS! you should see a doctor if you think you're pregnant but it could be just a wonderfully short period!

Good luck,

Jenn

I have a question. I randomly found this website when I was googling to find out about this. I have been having a dark brown discharge. It happens about two weeks after I get off my period and lasts almost until I start again. This has happened for like the past 6 months I guess. I am 21 and have never been sexually active. Any idea what it might be? I have heard that it could be ovulation or endometriosis but I don't know alot about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

hi. i had the Implanon inserted 2.5mths ago.. since then ive had this thick brownish/ black mucus/discharge... :-S any ideas what it could be?i have it everyday....

i'm having problems with brown discharge too, but the problem is that it has been coming for 5 days and i haven't had my period for 2 months. i have never had sex so there isn't any possibility that i might be pregnant. i also do not take birth control, so what might it be? someone please help me. there isn't any way that i can be pregnant, is there?

I have a question if anyone can help, this month when I was suppose to get my period instead of fresh blood I received brown charcol like, like old blood dont' understand why but afraid to talk to my gyn about it. Can someone explain what they think it might be or if they had the same problem.

Thank You

yeah i'm 15 and not active but i have had the same problem.

This isnt an answer to the previous questions but i have recently been experiencing things very similar. For the past few days i have had a brown discharge. It burns. Im 17 and ive never had sex so im not on birth control. My last period was may 18th.. can anybody help??? whats going on and will it go away? :-(

i have read through the posts but with no joy, i recently had a colonoscopy for pre cancerous cells since then i have had a brown discharge in between my period which have been every 2 weeks now for 4 months my i have an appointment with my gyne for oct and he said he cannot test me before that. can anyone put my mind at rest please

i get this brownish discharge.. i think that its my period, but its not because theres no blood. i am on birth control and my gynecologist warned me about that happening, but the thing is, is that i havent got my period last month and this month either.. i take the pill everyday at the same time, but still no period.. why??

i just had my period like a week ago. and i noticed maybe 3 days ago that my discharge was brown, and then it progressed to blood on the toilet paper. now its like staining my underpants. the last time i had sex was 3 days ago. am i pregnant? should i be worryed? i started the pill a week ago, is it that? or am i just ovulating?

Hi, I am 21 years old and for the past few months, I have also been experiencing brown discharge. I have been getting it 7-4 days before before my period. Usually it is a small amount and will either continue until I get my period, or sometimes it will stop after a couple days, then after a couple more days, my period will start. I am a generally healthy girl, sexually active, never been pregnant. We do not use condoms, however I am on the Ortho Evra birth control patch and we also use the pullout method. I have always been regular with my periods, but I am not sure why the past few months have included brown discharge/spotting. I thought maybe I was getting too used to my patch schedule, so I stopped for a month and restarted (not sure if this would make a difference or if was long enough to). Any ideas? I wish it would go back to normal.

-Colleen