About a month ago i started to get a bad taste in my mouth and a lot of saliva. Especially during the night when I fall asleep it accumulates and coats my tongue and in my throat which makes it hard to swallow the sticky stuff.. when I scrape my tongue it is real thick . i thought it was the 2 new meds I started to take about that time but I have eliminated them and it still is the same. I also had my teeth professionally cleaned at the dentist at about that time. Before that for a long time I used to wake up with a dry mouth since I was taking cardizem for my blood pressure. since i got this problem I dont have the dry mouth anymore. but this is worse then the dry mouth. with the dry mouth i took a drink of water and it was fine but this I cant get rid of. what could be causing it? it seems like something sticky in my throat and i cant clear it. have been to a ear,nose throat doctor but he did not find anything.

Hi hon! It's not your mouth its a reaction! Are you diabetic? Are you thirsty a lot? Do you urinate often - and if so is the color of your urin darker and smells stronger?

When you first mentioned your symptoms, I thought you are having residual effects from medications, which you stated, but you have stopped them!

Can I ask how old you are? The reason why I am asking this, is that as we age the mucus in our mouths and throats gets thicker!

So get checked out for diabetes! If this is OK and in the meantime, drinking plain club soda with a straw makes the mucus break down and drinking through a straw is sort of like a jet! But I would definitely like you to get checked out by your doctor 1st, to rule out Diabetes, reactions to medications, and to have your throat checked - just to rule out an infection etc.! But uptaking your drinking of water and plain fizzy club soda will help in thinning out the mucus!! PLease keep me updated OK? Good luck and health!

Hi did you ever find a cure for your mouth problem? I have the SAME thing and doctor has no answer.

Helen

Do you know if the person with the bad taste in mouth and thick saliva ever found out what caused it? I have same thing! Helen

I AM TOLD THAT MY LACK OF IRON IN MY BLOOD CAUSES THICK SALIVA AND HARDENED STRINGS

Did anyone find a solution for this? Even i have the same issue from 4 years

You mentioned that your age can make saliva thicker.. but I'm 16
Does diabetes type 1 make saliva thicker..? Do you know why? (im feeling kind of scared and sad right now)

Why are you sad and scared?

i have really thick saliva but i had full mouth extraction on monday and can barely talk or eat

I just had 13 upper teeth pulled yesterday and I have tons of saliva and I hate to swallow it . It's making me nauseous.

Dr Gupta how can I treat a sticky saliva? It's coming out of my teeth and mouth. All my doctor will give me is Magic mouthwash. Would sucking on sugar free candy get rid of it? If not what would you recommend by prescription or over the counter? Please help have had this for a month now.