I am concerned about blood in my saliva —over the last month or so and mostly in the mornings. I am an ex-smoker with a recent clean chest x-ray and no cough. I do have a sore throat and some reflux/indigestion/bloating issues, as well as lifelong allergy and sinus problems. I'm 30 with 3 kids and I'm getting scared. My PCP says not to worry, probably sinus/or throat irritation. Any ideas? Thanks.

Legend
Hey there,

Well, you're right to be worried. It's not normal to find blood in spittle! Is the blood light or dark in color? It could be coming from your gums or from a hole in your teeth?! Also it could be some throat irritation (as your doctor said). If the blood is darker in color then usual, than it means that you could have some gastrointestinal bleeding, such as a bleeding ulcer or polyp, which could be very dangerous. Also the blood could come from your respiratory system (nose or lungs), where the reason for bleeding could be some respiratory infection such as sinusitis or bronchitis.... Anyway, if this bleeding continues to be excessive or if these problems persist more then a week, I'd suggest you to visit the specialist which will determine what the exact source of this bleeding is.

Hope this helps!

Take care!

The last few days my wife has been concerned about the blood in her saliva. morning only and is bright pink in color. She doesn't have any mouth sores, cough, lung or any problem or pain anywhere. What do you think?

I 2 am facing the same thing from last 1 month, now even I am tensed about the same, I was worried about if I have some sort of cancer, can any one help regarding what it could be.

I have the same problem. If you do the hard tooth brushing in the morning in all the places, It stopped the blood from Saliva. But hard brushing you should do only few minutes otherwise enamal will go away which cause tooth sensitivity. Hope this helps.

i am suffering from flu symptoms, aching joints, blocked ears, runny nose etc, but no cough, but when i spit up the muscus in my throat it is very bloody, a very red blood colour, i did a little researche and this is usually linked to coughing in flu like cases but as i don't have any kind of cough just a sore throat i am worried. i am going to see a doctor tomorow but as i am not in my home country, im in france, would be great if any one could give any feed back. should i be worried or is this just linked to the possible flu symptoms i have?

thankyou for any help
xxx

most of the time when people have blood in their saliva along with a sore throat, they most of the time have Gerd (gastroentestinal reflux disease) or acid reflux, the acid from their stomach reaches their throat and they start getting and irrtated throat and then most of the time infection sets in, , if this your symptom relax take a deep breath and calm down you are fine but you are making it worst when you worry...Just gargle 1 teaspoon of salt with warm water 3mes a day
eat raw crushed garlic 3 times a day and drink plenty of fluids and take vitamin c pills 3 times a day....if you get precribed antibiotics make sure to buy some probiotics to keep your ammune system healthy or just eat cultured yogurt...so calm down its ok I've been there. Once I had it irritated and bleeding for like 2 months and was really worried,but being worried was making me sicker...also if you have alot of acid reflux causing your bloody and painful throat go on a 7 day fast drinking mothing but natural juicesHome made) not that carton c**p, once you finish your fast most of the time your acid reflux will be gone, trust me been there, I use to take nexium,prilosec,zantac,capicex, and prevacid, they use to work but my symptoms would be stronger once I'll stop, so a simple fast can cure you of alot of things...you have nothing to lose. god bless

Thankyou for the advice on taking salt with water and eating raw crushed garlic. I had been spitting blood (no cough, no stomach pain,no headache or nose bleeding, just blood from my saliva). I did some net surfing and saw your article and did as you said. My condition improves within days. Those who have the same sysptoms as me try this simple fast sure.

Thankyou

thank you so much for this.

I have been struggling with spitting blood for 2 years on and off, the very same symptoms described in this chat. I had an endoscopy, a few blood tests... but nothing was coming up.

I was given anti acid medicine and told to relax but it wouldn't solve the issue.

I still wake up spitting blood with a soar throat on a regular basis made worse by sensitive gums.

Symptoms recede when I don't have sugar/chocolate and when I have fresh vegi/fruit juices and add probiotics to my diet as you suggest.
It is the first time that I am reading some advise that make total sense and fits my problem. What a relief!

I highly encourage you all not to eat garlic if your alergic to bees my mother often eats garlic garlic is an alkine for acid she swears by it but every time she.walks oit the.door she is.stung by a bee garlic seems to anger these lil guys

just want to thank you for your post . I gave up smoking 6 months ago and from the 4th week I had a really sore throat and have had assorted color saliva in the morning ( brown ,pink orange ,cream and more recently red) I am having a larangoscopy and eosophagoscapy on tuesday and was terrified that they would find a cancer . Now I've read your post I will stop panicking and hope that all is well.

Coughing up blood usualy with no or less cough could be something out of your Stomach or lungs ... it might be due to ulcers or Acid reflux or Gerd or chronic bronchitis or something to deal with Lungs ...usually if the blood is seen in morning and pain is persistant in the chest , it is the time to go for Chest X ray or Bipsy or Bronchoscopy ASAP

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Helped alot, thanks

Yes I am worried because I have already had my tonsils taken out and my throat has been hurting for 3 days now

From last few days I have seen some traces of blood with my saliva after spitting few times..I Don have cough now...it generally occurs around evening time...two to three months earlier I have been diagnosed with gum infection and bleeding...I have taken treatment from dentist...polish has been done....I am worried now.. What had happened...i cannot trace out the cause...Infact while brushing no blood is there....please advice